Mostly Harmless

07 March 2008 | Richmond, BC
24 November 2007 | Aukland Harbour, New Zealand
14 November 2007 | 275 NM north of Kiwi Land
11 November 2007 | 450 NM from Whangarei
08 November 2007 | 600 NM from Whangarei
06 November 2007 | A couple miles outside North Minerva Reef
05 November 2007 | North Minerva Reef - day 2
05 November 2007 | North Minerva Reef
04 November 2007 | about 40 nm north of Minerva
03 November 2007 | somewhere in between Tongatapu and Minevera Reefs
31 October 2007 | Tonga - Nuku'Alofa - still
31 October 2007 | Tonga - Nuku'Alofa
14 October 2007 | Nukualofa - Tongatapu - Kingdom of Tonga
28 September 2007 | Vava'u, Tonga
13 September 2007 | Niue
31 August 2007 | Rarotonga, Cook Islands
27 August 2007 | 150 miles SE of Bora Bora
28 July 2007 | Leeward Island
23 July 2007 | Moorea, FP
15 July 2007 | Papeete, Tahiti

A Much Better Day

19 May 2007 | 190 NM WSW of Cape Mendocino, CA
Morgan MacKay
What a difference 24 hours can make!

Woke up this morning to the way sailing should be. Sunny skies, reaching in 10 knot winds. The air is warm and the water is light blue. SO much different from yesterday.

The Fishing Continues... with better luck!

After only catching the plastic bag, and two birds on the fishing line over the past two days, Morgan insisted that I try fishing instead. Well, as mentioned earlier, yesterday was definitely not suited to fishing at all. So this morning while Morgan was in the midst of cooking breakfast we had another hit on the fishing line. Well, we didn't see a bird on the end of the line so this was a good start. Then the line went running... fast. Definitely had something. I furled the headsail and pointed us into the wind to drop our speed before Morgan ran out of line on the reel. Morgan brought the fish alongside and I managed to gaff it on the first try. (I still don't know how I managed that one!) On board came a very lovely tuna. The freezer is now stocked with tuna fillets! We're going to have some for lunch.

Gypsy Life.

We're also taking the opportunity of this nice sunny weather to clean and dry out the contents of the V-berth after yesterday's soaking. Anyone seeing us sail by would say ANYTHING but "My! Look at that majestic sailboat." Cushions, blankets, clothes, you name it are strewn about the deck and over the lifelines to dry out. The crowning touch is the genset running on deck. Maybe if the boat were painted brighter colours and we had a fortune teller in the cockpit, the look would be complete.

--Tyler Borges
Comments
Vessel Name: Mostly Harmless
Vessel Make/Model: C&C 40
Hailing Port: Steveston, BC, Canada
Crew: Morgan MacKay
About: Mostly Single Handed. Currently crew in the South Pacific: Vanessa. Crewed to Hawaii: Tyler Borges.
Extra: Bought in 2005 on Seattle WA, Wendigo became Mostly Harmless registered in Vancouver BC. Over the last year, she has undergone a transformation from a soft middle aged performance cruiser to capable offshore passage maker.

Mostly Harmless

Who: Morgan MacKay
Port: Steveston, BC, Canada