Mostly Harmless

07 March 2008 | Richmond, BC
24 November 2007 | Aukland Harbour, New Zealand
14 November 2007 | 275 NM north of Kiwi Land
11 November 2007 | 450 NM from Whangarei
08 November 2007 | 600 NM from Whangarei
06 November 2007 | A couple miles outside North Minerva Reef
05 November 2007 | North Minerva Reef - day 2
05 November 2007 | North Minerva Reef
04 November 2007 | about 40 nm north of Minerva
03 November 2007 | somewhere in between Tongatapu and Minevera Reefs
31 October 2007 | Tonga - Nuku'Alofa - still
31 October 2007 | Tonga - Nuku'Alofa
14 October 2007 | Nukualofa - Tongatapu - Kingdom of Tonga
28 September 2007 | Vava'u, Tonga
13 September 2007 | Niue
31 August 2007 | Rarotonga, Cook Islands
27 August 2007 | 150 miles SE of Bora Bora
28 July 2007 | Leeward Island
23 July 2007 | Moorea, FP
15 July 2007 | Papeete, Tahiti

It's been a great day on the boat.

29 May 2007 | 730NM to Hawaii
Morgan MacKay
It's finally warm enough to sleep outside at night. The wind last night was very light overnight, so the boat required supervision to ensure that the sails stayed filled and didn't bang. We'd been hearing an annoying squeaking from the mast over the last day and it was betting louder, so it was time to investigate. After a morning coffee, I climbed up the mast!

After a morning coffee, I climbed up the mast!

What a cool experience. One of the coolest things I've ever done. 60 feet above the water while underway. You can see so far, but there isn't anything to see, just water! I took a couple of pictures of Tyler on deck way below. I found the squeaking. The genoa and halyard had stretched to the point that the halyard knot was rubbing on the pulley. It was also rubbing through my brand new spinnaker halyard. We repaired the problem by shortening some hardware, unfortunately the spinnaker halyard is 25% damaged and shouldn't be used any more. I'll have to replace it eventually. Since it's cut at the half-waypoint, it will make a good pair of sheets.

After all the hardware and tolls were cleaned up, we declared it Beer Day!

We figured it was about noon our time, and we had a serious problem onboard. The salt water in the bilge had been rusting though our beer cans at an alarming rate. Upon inspection yesterday, we had cans that had simply corroded and emptied into the bilge. So we set out to drink whatever we could save.

Of the cans that were under the floorboards, we had to write off five Pilsner and a six-pack of Smirnoff ice. That left us with three Pilsner and a Sleemans (The Sleemans was border line drinkable). After that locker was empty, we were still thirsty and tackled the last two bottles of Spinnaker's beer and couple Guinness that were in a dry locker. Followed by a couple cigars. We worked hard in the morning, so we felt it was fair to relax in the sun in the afternoon. The scary part is that we have 730 miles to go and six good beer left between us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mostly Harmless
Vessel Make/Model: C&C 40
Hailing Port: Steveston, BC, Canada
Crew: Morgan MacKay
About: Mostly Single Handed. Currently crew in the South Pacific: Vanessa. Crewed to Hawaii: Tyler Borges.
Extra: Bought in 2005 on Seattle WA, Wendigo became Mostly Harmless registered in Vancouver BC. Over the last year, she has undergone a transformation from a soft middle aged performance cruiser to capable offshore passage maker.

Mostly Harmless

Who: Morgan MacKay
Port: Steveston, BC, Canada