Havili

Exploring the world’s oceans, coastal communities, & islands

09 September 2019 | Nomuka Iki, Ha'apai Group
06 September 2019 | Ha'ano, Ha'apai Group
31 August 2019 | Port Maurelle, Vava'u Group
28 August 2019 | Nuku, Vava'u Group
24 August 2019 | Vava'u North Shore
12 April 2019 | Baie des Vierges, Fatu Hiva
08 April 2019 | Land Ho!!!
07 April 2019 | 143nm to Hiva 'Oa
31 March 2019 | 808nm to Hiva 'Oa at 246* Magnetic
27 March 2019 | The Doldrums
23 March 2019 | Pacific Ocean
21 March 2019 | Pacific Ocean
17 March 2019 | Sailing Across the Pacific Ocean!
17 March 2019 | Clipperton
14 March 2019 | 20nm NNE of Clipperton Island
12 March 2019 | 160nm NNE of Clipperton Island
12 March 2019 | Enroute to Clipperton Island

Long Periods of Calm / Short Bursts of Activity

28 February 2019 | Isla Socorro
Nancy
"Sailing is long periods of boredom punctuated by short bursts of extreme terror." I've heard this quote a few times now, and although I don't necessarily agree (I would swap out the word 'boredom' with 'calm' and 'terror' with...'activity,' which often incites excitement, sometimes stress, and not very often but definitely possibly terror), the quote (variation) is pretty spot on for other aspects of our lives as well, not just sailing. The past few days at Socorro have been long periods of calm (i.e., reading lots of books, cooking, watching movies, writing, cleaning, practicing yoga, playing chess, etc.) punctuated by short bursts of extreme activity (i.e., going full-throttle in the dinghy to explore as much of the coast as we can; paddleboarding as fast as we can to try to catch up to nearby whales and get a glimpse of them underwater; snorkeling and freediving towards white-tipped reef sharks and sea turtles and away from the much larger, sinister manifestations of our fears; swimming and singing in thunderous sea caves of unknown depths; etc.).

I've even come to realize the quotes relatability in our animal encounters. Encounters with marine animals are different than other animals, because although we live on the same planet, we live in two very, very different worlds. I find I hardly ever look out into the ocean with the expectation of actually seeing an animal. It's long periods of looking out that eventually dissolve into either following a train of thought, or focusing my attention on something else. But, every lucky once in a while, the outward looks are punctuated by short bursts of flying fish that actually fly(!), giant tuna leaping miles out of the water, bouncing dolphin dorsal fins and skimming shark dorsal fins, flapping giant manta ray wings, and the literal breathtaking glimpses of whales and their tails before they dive back down to the depths, bringing another long period of calmly waiting--sometimes upwards of 20 minutes--before we're graced with another short burst of what could only be described as pure beauty.
Comments
Vessel Name: Havili
Vessel Make/Model: Transpac 49
Hailing Port: Los Angeles
Crew: Sam
About: https://www.havili.org/
Home Page: https://www.havili.org/
Havili's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.