Heading East on North Star

This is planned to document our sailing the Atlantic to England, Western Europe and return to US via the Caribbean

04 December 2017 | Southern North Atlantic
01 December 2017 | Southern North Atlantic
28 November 2017 | Southern North Atlantic
27 November 2017 | Southern North Atlantic
24 November 2017 | Southern North Atlantic
23 November 2017 | Southern North Atlantic
22 November 2017 | Southern North Atlantic
21 November 2017 | Southern North Atlantic
20 November 2017 | Southern North Atlantic
18 November 2017 | Still in Port
10 November 2017 | Las Palmas Marina, Gran Canaria
06 November 2017 | Las Palmas Marina Gran Canaria
30 October 2017 | Las Palmas Marina
26 October 2017 | Las Palmas on pontoon G
23 October 2017 | Rolnautic Boatyard, Las Palmas
22 October 2017 | Las Palmas marina
21 October 2017 | Las Palmas marina
20 October 2017 | Las Palmas marina, Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
19 October 2017 | Pontoon G-50, Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
18 October 2017 | Las Palmas, Gran Canaria

Underway Finally

17 July 2017 | Caramiñal, Spain
Ted, beautiful day
Yesterday we finally got underway from the boatyard at Varadoiro do Xufre. It seemed like we were welded to the pontoon. Lots of little issues raised their ugly heads, as they always do with boats and ships when you want to get underway and go somewhere.

We are missing the new life raft which is still at Xufre. The life raft was delivered with a misfitted mounting bracket. I had the company which sold me the life raft send me the correct mounting bracket, for which we waited two weeks. They sent the same bracket. Rather than waiting another two weeks the boatyard modified the bracket to fit properly but did not have the material to fasten it to the deck. We will need to pop back into Xufre to install the bracket and life raft.

Yesterday's sail was just right 10-15 kts for a majority of the day. Shan had the helm the entire time, with the exception of a few minutes leaving and entering port. At one point I suggested she steer a little to the left but was ignored. When I asked why, her explanation was that she did not want to slow down and if she turned left she certainly would slow. The need for speed!! At lunch time we heaved to in the middle of the Ría and ate our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. There was no one around to question what we were doing. Heaving to, for those who may not know, involved stopping the boat with all sails rigged and making no way, which North Star does quite nicely. We decided that as the wind died, we would make for the little port of Caramiñal which is just across the Ría from Xufre. Just after we arrived and we safely moored, the wind came back with a vengeance. I would say it is just the luck of the Irish, but....!

It was great to have North Star sailing again. Everything worked the way it was supposed to. Our call to the marina was ignored, which I found out later is normal for this area. We just headed for the visitor dock, where we saw a white bearded man in a red shirt waving his arms and pointing to a slip. North Star still does not behave when maneuvering in close quarters, especially with turns to the left, but we managed to dock safely. We will need to get out of here tomorrow and head back to Xufre to get the life raft, if possible, but more importantly, to have dinner with friends.

Our timing was a little off. Yesterday as a Sunday was the kick off to a series of summer festivals, fiestas, celebrating St. James. Fireworks, fireworks, and cannons. Loud music that played until midnight. Others from whom we heard said the music in other parts of the Ría played until 3AM! Today was very quiet, needless to say.
Comments
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Make/Model: Shannon 38 Pilothouse Cutter
Hailing Port: Westerly, Rhode Island, USA
Crew: Shan and Ted Rice
About: Shan and Ted make their permanent home in Westerly and live aboard during summer months. North Star is currently in Galicia, Spain. They will be continuing their cruise in June.
Extra:
Boat: Our Shannon Pilothouse 38 Cutter was built in 1982 by Schultz Boat Company in Bristol, RI. We are the third owner of North Star. She was taken to the Mediterranean in 1999 by the previous owners and spent most of her history split among Chesapeake Bay, Mediterranean, and Westerly, RI areas. [...]
North Star's Photos - Main
These are pictures included in the blog taken by both of us.
7 Photos
Created 17 April 2015
1 Photo
Created 17 April 2015
The process of outfitting for a North Atlantic crossing in June 2014.
2 Photos
Created 23 March 2014