Hedonism

10 April 2022
12 September 2021 | Maupiti
14 August 2021
21 February 2021 | Toau Atoll
09 February 2020
28 January 2020
23 January 2019 | Rotoava
06 January 2019 | Fakarava
28 October 2018
14 October 2018 | Papeete, Tahiti
19 August 2018 | 16 06.30'S:142 22.78'W, Rarioa, French Polynesia
30 July 2018 | 16 06.30'S:142 22.78'W, Nuku Hiva

Update September 30th

30 September 2014 | 44 10.576'N:76 45.478'W, Lake Ontario
Bob
38.29.253 N 74.59.560 W September 30, 2014 Well, the time has flown by! We went back to Thunder Bay for my medical appointment and then flew for a week. Did a few trips but it wasn�'t that busy. I was hoping for more because it was actually �"fun�" just to go flying! When we got back to Bath we got the boat ready and sailed to Duck Island in the afternoon of the 15th. A really quick sail averaging 8.5 knots. In the morning of the 16th we departed for Oswego where we planned on unstepping the mast and heading through the New York canal system. We were lucky enough to be introduced to another couple by Dave at Loyalist Cove who also wanted to ship their mast to Catskill so we split the cost of the crane in Oswego and the transport of the masts. That saves a few bucks. On the 17th we unstepped the mast and locked up the first lock and stayed on the wall (free) for the night. It was a nice park and quite quiet. In the morning we started locking up as soon as they opened and were ready for us (7:10 AM). We continued locking and motoring all day and ended up at Sylvan on the south east side of Lake Oneida. There are a total of 30 locks that we will travel through, up at first and then down to the Hudson River. And not all locks are the same, some have different methods of securing to the lock so you need to be ready for anything. In one lock the water was extremely high and the top of the wall was slanted off at a 30 degree angle. That left us ripe for the fenders to kick out and they did even though we had them just a couple of inches off the water. We just touched for a second but made a note to drag our fenders entering the locks going forward. We finally finished the locking journey on the 21st when we locked �"down�" from lock 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 and 2 which put us in the Hudson. One more lock to go just downstream of Troy, a federal lock and then into tidal waters! The federal lock was different from all the rest (of course) and we only had a single place to secure the boat, at the beam and then I held the stern off while Laurie held the bow. It was funny though, another couple had followed us all morning through the other locks and seemed in a hurry so I let them by us prior to getting to the federal lock. That gave us the advantage of seeing what was ahead in the lock and what �"not�" to do. We followed them all the way to Catskill NY that day and they ended up coming into the same marina, Hop-O-Nose, where our mast was waiting for us. We got our mast ready first thing in the morning but the wind picked up and it was just too windy to step the mast so we waited until the 23rd. We ate at the restaurant on site and it was excellent! They have the BEST Calamari either of us had ever had! So much so, we went three times and the price was right, $9.00 and it filled you up! We then spent the rest of the day and the 24th putting things back together and washing the boat until 7 PM. We left Catskill in the dark on the morning of the 25th to make the best use of the tide / currents. That night we stayed at Haverstraw Bay north of New York City thanks to the suggestion of Dean, a fellow boater we met at Hop-O-Nose and who was nice enough to give me a ride to the UPS Store as well. Thanks Dean! On the 27th we left Haverstraw in the dark again and continued on down the Hudson right through Manhattan, VERY heavy boat traffic (the ferries are nuts) and by the Statue of Liberty. We spent the night at Sandy Hook just south of Manhattan. On the 28th we started out at 0325 in the morning (yes, that early) and arrived at Atlantic City at 4:30 PM. It was a warm Saturday so the place was swarming with boat traffic, jet skis (probably over a hundred�...really! I think there was some sort of meet going on) The anchorage at Atlantic City was not great. We anchored off Harrah�'s casino as almost the whole anchorage was full in about 2 knots of tidal current. That was a treat. And then the locals would rip right through the anchorage in their boats oblivious of the anchored boats. We had one guy in a boat roughly 24 feet long pass within 20 feet of our boat doing about 20 knots! We did not go ashore at all�... On the morning of the 28th we left for Cape May but part way there we changed our minds and continued onto Cape Henlopen Beach at the south side of Delaware Bay. It is this huge sandy cape with miles and miles of sand beach. On the way Laurie spotted our first pod of Dolphins! We ended up staying an extra day and went into town to provision and later took the dink out to the actual cape. We had to anchor the dingy off shore in about two feet of water as the tide was going out and had we just pulled it up on the beach, it would have been about a 100 feet from the water when we got back from our walk! (Tide is about 5 feet here) The beach was littered with Horseshoe Crabs shells. I had no idea what they were but Laurie did. Try Googling �"Horseshoe Crabs�". It is very interesting and man, they are ugly! They say they are living fossils and you will see why! And, in the morning we had another Pod of Dolphins swim by our boat while we were at anchor. We tried to get a picture and I think we did get one �"fin�" but I won�'t be able to post that until we get WiFi. So today is Tuesday September 30 and we are just off Ocean City as I write this. There is no place for us to pull in safely on this leg so we will be going right through overnight to the Chesapeake Bay and our short term destination of Hampton Virginia where we are meeting up with the Salty Dawgs sailing rally to the British Virgin Islands around the beginning of November. We have lots of work to do to prepare including taking a daylong seminar sponsored by the Salty Dawgs. You can visit the Salty Dawg web site at: http://saltydawgrally.org/ Our Google map has been updated and we should be able to post photos in a few days once we get to Hampton!
Comments
Vessel Name: Hedonism
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound '46
Hailing Port: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Crew: Bob and Laurie Mackie
About: Retired
Extra:
He-don-ism (hí:d'nįzəm) n. the doctrine that pleasure is the highest good and that moral duty is fulfilled through the pursuit of pleasure. After sailing Superior and Northern Lake Huron for the past 9 years, it's time to cut the ties and explore further. We left Barkers Island Marina on [...]
Home Page: http://hedonism1.ca/
Hedonism's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.