Hedonism

10 April 2022
12 September 2021 | Maupiti
14 August 2021
21 February 2021 | Toau Atoll
09 February 2020
28 January 2020
23 January 2019 | Rotoava
06 January 2019 | Fakarava
28 October 2018
14 October 2018 | Papeete, Tahiti
19 August 2018 | 16 06.30'S:142 22.78'W, Rarioa, French Polynesia
30 July 2018 | 16 06.30'S:142 22.78'W, Nuku Hiva

Pond Bay - Virgin Gorda

25 November 2014 | 18 28.231'N:64 24.966'W, Beside Savannah Bay
Bob
N18.28.231; W 64.24.966 November 25, 2014 On the hook �- Pond Bay, Virgin Gorda We left our �"free�" mooring ball in the morning and motored over to Leverick Bay to take on fuel. We topped up the tanks and only took 65 gallons, so that is all we used from Hampton VA to here and while running the generator an hour per day. So we still had 115 gallon left. Our �"tank tender�" gauge reads in �"inches�" and since the tanks are not uniform we are always left wondering just how much fuel we have left. Of course we have measured, taken notes of how much we take each time but it still leaves us wondering. So we had a quick sail to Pond Bay. Wind is fairly stiff, 30 to 35 knots sustained so we had two reefs and the small Solent sail, max boat speed today, 9 kts. Coming into Pond Bay (beside Savannah Bay) we followed the cruising directions, waited for good light (sunshine) so we could see the coral heads and came in with no problems anchoring in 18 feet of turquois water with a sand bottom. We have the place to ourselves! Then comes in a Lagoon 52�' cat�...you would think they would have an idea what they were doing but nope. You could see that he didn�'t know where to go as he stopped a few times but then headed straight for the reef. I tried calling him on the radio but to no avail. As he came upon the reef he stopped and then proceeded slowly across what must have been only 4 feet of water. The waves were breaking on each side of him. He made it. So this anchorage is fairly large so where does he anchor? Within 100 feet of us. They stayed a couple of hours and then left. When they waved goodbye I pointed at our mic in the cockpit and got them to turn their radio on. I mentioned how lucky they were as they had not come in the recommended route. He asked me how to get out and fortunately there was another boat just coming in and I told him to go out that way. I wanted to say: �"read you sailing guide or look at a map�". I didn�'t. We are heading to Nanny Cay today on Tortolla to get the freezer serviced. I am adding a couple of photos to the album as well including our friend since yesterday, I think it is a Tarpon that has been hanging around our boat. I first met him when I dove on the anchor. He met me as soon as I jumped in. No bother, they are only curious.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hedonism
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound '46
Hailing Port: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Crew: Bob and Laurie Mackie
About: Retired
Extra:
He-don-ism (hí:d'nįzəm) n. the doctrine that pleasure is the highest good and that moral duty is fulfilled through the pursuit of pleasure. After sailing Superior and Northern Lake Huron for the past 9 years, it's time to cut the ties and explore further. We left Barkers Island Marina on [...]
Home Page: http://hedonism1.ca/
Hedonism's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.