Hedonism

10 April 2022
12 September 2021 | Maupiti
14 August 2021
21 February 2021 | Toau Atoll
09 February 2020
28 January 2020
23 January 2019 | Rotoava
06 January 2019 | Fakarava
28 October 2018
14 October 2018 | Papeete, Tahiti
19 August 2018 | 16 06.30'S:142 22.78'W, Rarioa, French Polynesia
30 July 2018 | 16 06.30'S:142 22.78'W, Nuku Hiva

Antigua

09 December 2014 | 17 04.528'N:61 553.846'W, Jolly Harbour
Bob
N17.04.528; W 61.53.846 December 9, 2014 Jolly Harbour - Antigua We arrived at Jolly Harbour at 9 PM Sunday Dec. 7. Crept into the anchorage using the radar to see boats that had no lights on. Some sailors figure they don�'t need to put on their anchor light since it is a �"designated anchorage�". Well, we keep ours on so that when someone comes in in the middle of the night, I would like them to see us�.... Anyhow, we ended up motor sailing all the way here as the winds started off light and then got even lighter! We took advantage of running the motor and made water for a few hours and actually �"topped�" both of our water tanks, 200 gallons in all. We usually make water for an hour per day which gives us about 7 gallons each run. The last few hours the ocean was smooth except for the 4 foot swells. I took the opportunity to fish again. After catching a LOT of �"Sargassum�" (seaweed floating on the surface) I finally got one! Hoping for a small Mahi or Wahoo but nope, it was a Barracuda. We let him go as neither of us 1) wanted a Barracuda on board with their big teeth and 2) we didn�'t want to eat a Barracuda. Later on we saw birds circling around a large school of fish so we altered course to intercept. Could this be our evasive Tuna or Bonito? Not sure as we did not get a good look but they were smaller and jumping a lot. We continued south past St. Kitts, Nevis, Kingdom of Redonda and Montserrat. You can still see the plume from the volcano on Montserrat present although not a real eruption, just the heat generated cloud over top. I put a photo in our album. We are planning on visiting and going to the Volcano Observatory in the near future. Monday morning we raised anchor and motored the rest of the way into Jolly Harbour. First stop was the customs dock. Only the �"Master�" is allowed to leave the vessel. (I like being called the �"master�") The building is small and houses three separate rooms each with its own entrance. Clearing in went as follows: 1. Enter the �"customs�" door. Do the paperwork and sign numerous copies. (about 8 signatures required). 2. Take some of the paperwork out and enter the �"immigration�" door. Show our passports, sign some more paperwork and give them some from customs. 3. Go back to customs so they can stamp some more paperwork. Done? No. Now on to door number 3; 4. Go into the �"port office�" to obtain our �"cruising permit�". It is valid for 30 days but we can extend that if we desire. We just need to go back to door number 3. All went well and everyone was pleasant. We had been warned by other �"Salty Dawgs�" not to clear in here but to go to St. Johns as they had problems. We did not have any although it was WAY easier and less formal clearing into St. Martin. Go with the flow I guess. We then motored across to the dock. We arranged for dockage for a couple of days so we can wash the boat (fresh water) and pick up Shawnda who is arriving tomorrow! Our plan it to head north to the more remote island of Barbuda to explore the reefs and walk the almost deserted beach. Apparently, very few boats head out there and one bonus, no charter boats!
Comments
Vessel Name: Hedonism
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound '46
Hailing Port: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Crew: Bob and Laurie Mackie
About: Retired
Extra:
He-don-ism (hí:d'nįzəm) n. the doctrine that pleasure is the highest good and that moral duty is fulfilled through the pursuit of pleasure. After sailing Superior and Northern Lake Huron for the past 9 years, it's time to cut the ties and explore further. We left Barkers Island Marina on [...]
Home Page: http://hedonism1.ca/
Hedonism's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.