Hedonism

10 April 2022
12 September 2021 | Maupiti
14 August 2021
21 February 2021 | Toau Atoll
09 February 2020
28 January 2020
23 January 2019 | Rotoava
06 January 2019 | Fakarava
28 October 2018
14 October 2018 | Papeete, Tahiti
19 August 2018 | 16 06.30'S:142 22.78'W, Rarioa, French Polynesia
30 July 2018 | 16 06.30'S:142 22.78'W, Nuku Hiva

Lockdown in Maupiti 2021

12 September 2021 | Maupiti
Robert Mackie
Well, it has been 3 weeks now in lockdown. We are anchored near the south reef in Maupiti. This week I went snorkeling again and once with a Manta doing it's cleaning thing. Pretty neat to watch. I need to edit the video I took and will be post links to it in a few days.

I just added about 80 photos to our Album. The new "Album" is called Maupiti and Bora Bora. I also added a couple to the solar panel album.

Still doing some boat maintenance as always. A couple of days ago checking bolts and screws on various equipment was due. Yes we track much of that stuff...probably from our flying days. Anyhow, when we went to unfurl the Solent sail I noticed that the furling drum top and bottom plates were cracked and actually separating. Great. We have an order being put together in the US so I went shopping. No one has the 3 parts required, Harken, the manufacture of the furler has to make them! They say a "couple of days". Right.
So in meantime we did what we do best...jury rig our own repair. The top plate was easy, we just drilled it and added a stainless steel strap on it to hold it together. Better that new? Stronger for sure. The bottom plate was more difficult. We could not drill it as it was too confined for access with the drill so we centered the plate using wooden wedges that we keep for such occasions as you never know. Wood clothes pins... Laurie then set about prepping the surface that then we "glassed" a repair. Fiberglass that is. We mixed up the hardner and resin, added silica fibers to thicken and add strength to the mix and applied it. Those 2 halves of the bottom plate are not going anywhere now! When we finally get the new ones in a couple of months we'll probably have to cut it off...
Comments
Vessel Name: Hedonism
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound '46
Hailing Port: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Crew: Bob and Laurie Mackie
About: Retired
Extra:
He-don-ism (hí:d'nįzəm) n. the doctrine that pleasure is the highest good and that moral duty is fulfilled through the pursuit of pleasure. After sailing Superior and Northern Lake Huron for the past 9 years, it's time to cut the ties and explore further. We left Barkers Island Marina on [...]
Home Page: http://hedonism1.ca/
Hedonism's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.