Tim and Cath's most excellent adventure

Completely exhausted!

17 April 2013
After the best part of two weeks sitting/lying in the position shown in the last photo, I decided it was time for a change, so I moved to the other side of the cockpit for a while......that was enough activity for one day.
Since we've "come off the wind" (a technical term for having the wind a bit further behind us for our non-sailor, which is much more comfortable) life on board has improved. We still need to be strapped to the sink to wash up, but I'm pleased to report that the loo situation has improved. We don't need the ropes, winches or pullies anymore..... We can sleep better and have been able to lie in a more normal position now, as opposed to the well known ocean-sailor "starfish" pose.
The trade winds are well established with a light to moderate breeze pushing us along and hot sunshine to power up the solar panels. Its been a real treat not to have to run the engine to charge the batteries every day like we had to in the grey Atlantic crossing. It seems every 3/4 days is sufficient which saves us a lot of fuel.
It's about this sort of time into a trip that we are at most risk of developing cabin fever and I'm afraid to report a sudden outbreak just last night. Every evening at about 5.30 we settle down for a sundowner and discuss the day's activities (this doesn't take too long..) Last night we were talking about winter evenings in the UK and this lead me on to Strictly Come Dancing. We then spent the next hour discussing who would be the best person to replace Sir Brucie if he didn't come back this autumn.... I told you cabin fever is dangerous..it can lead you anywhere..
Anyway we recovered quite quickly but it was a stark warning. We got out our cruising pilots and guide books to the Sout Pacific to refocus and our equilibrium (and sanity!) was restored thankfully.
As I write we should only have about another 8 days, hoping to arrive next Thursday/ Friday, obviously wind dependent. We've opted to go to Nuku Hiva which is supposed to be the most beautiful island and spend about 10 days there. We'll be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary ( good lord..) exploring the island and generally sorting out the boat and fixing a few things. Tim is particularly looking forward to his first cocktail served in a pineapple with an umbrella in it. I can taste it already.......
So there you have it. At present all seems well on the great ship HM (my fingers are firmly crossed) Tim has caught two good size Mahi Mahi and I've lost count how many books I've read, so we're both quite content! Will blog again when we have some photos of Nuku Hiva ......bring it on!
TTFN xxx
ps we never did decide who would be best to take over from Brucie....
Comments
Vessel Name: Helena May
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 38
Extra:
We completed an Atlantic circuit in our yacht "Ragamuffin of Gosport", a Nicholson 31, in 1987/8. Since then, we have sailed together with our children along both sides of the Channel coast. We bought our current boat, "Helena May", a Bavaria 38, in 2003. We have spent the last couple of years [...]