R' Liberty - On the way!

10 March 2019
09 March 2019
31 January 2019
15 January 2019 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
12 December 2018 | Titusville, FL
08 April 2018 | Hawksbill Cay
18 March 2018 | Elizabeth Harbor
08 March 2018 | Black Point Settlement
25 February 2018
03 February 2018 | Highbourne Cay
28 January 2018 | Great Harbor Cay Marina
23 January 2018 | Great Harbour Cay
18 January 2018 | Wayne's Dock, North Palm Beach
01 January 2018 | Titusville, FL
04 December 2017 | Titusville, FL
18 April 2017 | Titusville
07 April 2017 | Old Bahama Bay Marina
29 March 2017

On to Highbourne Cay

03 February 2018 | Highbourne Cay
Paul & Helle
Well, we decided to leave Great Harbour Cay marina early AM on February 1st. As you can see from 1 of our photos, you want to be sure to leave in daylight. A night time entrance or departure here could be catastrophic as the channel is only about 20 feet wide.

Later in the day we arrived at Chubb Cay and anchored for the night (25.24.622N 077.54.824W). As it was Paul's birthday, we cracked open a nice bottle of red wine to go with the Cod and fresh Lobster dinner. The Cod was "fresh frozen" from Florida but the lobster was fresh caught and bought from the local fishermen. What a deal, 5 large rock lobster tails for $20.00! It's hard to imagine that we were here last year when they were rebuilding after the damage of Hurricane Matthew and now after Hurricane Irma, everything is safe with no damage whatsoever.

Next day we picked up anchor and went to West Bay of Providence Island. We anchored in 9 feet of water (25.01.588N 076.41.918W). A very nice place to spend 4 nights. This is where we picked up Diane and Alan last year.

Working our way south (albeit in no hurry whatsoever) we end up in Highbourne Cay which is the northerly part of the Exumas. We anchor in 13 feet of water (24.43.892N 076.49.875) and are 1 of 24 boats at anchor. As you will see from the photos, some of them are quite big! The larger have lots of "toys" to off load for their guests to play with. One of the larger boats even had a 4 story water slide!

In the Bahamas it is quite common to anchor and you are always looking for only sand in which to drop your anchor. Occasionally there will be some grass which can make it harder to set your anchor. Sometimes when you lift your anchor, you get a surprise as well.

Last year we managed to pick up an old lobster trap!
We haven't run in to any Boaters from previous years but I'm sure we will at some point. This year we have run into boats that remind us of boats from home. "Cabernet" is a boat from Montreal, who shares a similar name with the DeSousa's of home.

Another boat that reminded us of home is called "Southern Star" which is the name of the Dinsmore's Beneteau. This boat also reminded us of the Steven's as they recently purchased a trawler. Souther Star, owned by Ted and Jenny is also a trawler (47' Norhaven) and like the Stevens, they also sailed their sailboat for many years before "going to the other side.

Last year we managed to pick up an old lobster trap!
We haven't run in to any Boaters from previous years but I'm sure we will at some point. This year we have run into boats that remind us of boats from home. "Cabernet" is a boat from Montreal, who shares a similar name with the DeSousa's of home.

Another boat that reminded us of home is called "Southern Star" which is the name of the Dinsmore's Beneteau. This boat also reminded us of the Steven's as they recently purchased a trawler. Souther Star, owned by Ted and Jenny is also a trawler (47' Norhaven) and like the Stevens, they also sailed their sailboat for many years before "going to the other side.

Ted and Jenny gave us a tour of their vessel and I must admit, it gave us thought. That and a lottery win might allow us to purchase one. Being able to stand up in the engine room is pretty nice!

Well,I will close out this blog with another picture; this one is rumored to be a prop that was taken from a "drug running plane" of which in the old days was quite common. The story goes that after the plane crashed and new owners purchased the land from where the plane had crashed, they took the prop to use as a "marker" at the end of their driveway.

We are only able to get 1 picture at a time into the Blog but there is a photo gallery you can click on to see many more.

Tomorrow we will leave Highbourne Cay and go to Bell’s Island which is the same island that our PM visited on one of his vacations. I don’t think Mr. Khan will give us the same welcome that Justin Trudeau and family received!

Cheers,
Helle and Paul
Comments
Vessel Name: R' Liberty
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 3700
Hailing Port: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Helle and Paul
Extra: Current Position and Track https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-74.6261/centery:39.10445/zoom:8/mmsi:316016273
Social:
R' Liberty's Photos - Main
14 Photos
Created 13 February 2018
8 Photos
Created 5 February 2017
1 Photo
Created 11 February 2016
25 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
Waiting for a Weather Window
2 Photos
Created 13 January 2016
10 Photos
Created 23 February 2015
3 Photos
Created 8 September 2014