S/V Hello Texas

12 March 2016 | Grenada
12 March 2016 | Carriacou
12 March 2016 | Carriacou
29 February 2016 | Union Island
29 February 2016 | Union Island
29 February 2016 | Union Island
17 February 2016 | Tobago Cays, Grenadines
15 February 2016 | Bequia
15 February 2016 | Bequia
15 February 2016 | Bequia
10 February 2016 | St Lucia
09 February 2016 | St Lucia
09 February 2016 | St Lucia
09 February 2016 | St Lucia
08 February 2016 | St Lucia
08 February 2016 | St Lucia
08 February 2016 | Martinique
08 February 2016 | Martinique
08 February 2016 | Martinique
08 February 2016 | Martinique

Away from the Charter Boat Scene

28 December 2015 | Savannah, Virgin Gorda, BVI
Richard
It is not difficult to recognize the difference between cruisers, tourists and charter boaters.

When walking trails of any island, we tend to say Hello to everyone. Locals and other cruisers almost always provide a warm response sometimes followed with conversation. But, many tourists and charter boaters often don't respond and may even look away. Too much city living, maybe. Maybe, in too much of a hurry to have fun in the limited time available to waste with casual niceties.

The charter boat companies provide maps that guide these boats to the mooring fields and away from reefs, rocks and anchoring. That means that places like Savannah Bay are left alone for cruisers and people with local knowledge. Savannah Bay has some protection from a reef but you must take care to drop your hook in sandy patches and avoid the rocky patches (which will snag your anchor). But for those who venture in, you find two long sandy beaches and great snorkeling away from the crowds.

We watched a chartered catamaran nearly tear out their windlass trying to raise the anchor. With 3 people on the bow arguing about who's left is left and shouting at the helmsman who is shouting back, the windlass squealed and the bow screeched. Nicki and I winced many times while watching the stooges do their thing until they finally freed their anchor... and back to the charter base for repairs.

Comments
Vessel Name: Hello Texas
Vessel Make/Model: Kadey-Krogen 38' Cutter
Hailing Port: Fort Worth, Texas
Crew: Richard & Nicki
About: Just us.

Who: Richard & Nicki
Port: Fort Worth, Texas