Adventures of Hiatus

08 June 2009
31 May 2009 | Portland, OR
14 May 2009 | Seabrook, Texas
13 May 2009
12 May 2009 | Texas
11 May 2009 | Gulf of Mexico
10 May 2009 | Gulf of Mexico
08 May 2009 | Gulf of Mexico
07 May 2009 | Mexico
01 May 2009 | Mexico
27 April 2009 | Belize
22 April 2009 | Lighthouse Reef, Belize
21 April 2009 | Lighthouse Reef, Belize
17 April 2009 | Cay Caulker
08 April 2009 | Belize
29 March 2009 | Lighthouse Reef, Belize
27 March 2009 | Honduras
16 March 2009 | Honduras
09 March 2009 | La Ceiba, Roatan
04 March 2009 | Roatan, Honduras

Isla Santa Cruz

20 October 2008 | Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Heather
The Turners arrived as scheduled and we checked into our hotel (Hotel Espana) in Puerto Aroya on Santa Cruz Island. We immediately booked a few tours through our very informative hotel manager, Anna. Anna absolutely adored Ryan and we probably only received special attention because of Charles and Jenny's blond haired, blue eyed extroverted 22 month old (but we are totally OK with that).

First day was a 2 hour boat tour out to Isla Floreana. Floreana only has about 100 inhabitants on it but is rich in history as it was the first island to be inhabited. Upon landing we saw sea lions, marine iguanas and pelicans, all at such close distances it was impossible not to get some good photos. We then visited an adaptive tortoise center, where tortoises are adjusting to living in the wild before being returned to their home island. Some tortoises are found on the incorrect island, either smuggled or transferred by other methods - the goal of this program is to ensure that each species of tortoise is returned to the correct island and given the skills necessary to survive in its natural wild habitat. This center was interesting as we had the opportunity to watch the tortoises during their feeding time, perhaps the most active time for tortoises. Our next objective was a short hike to a sandy white beach for lunch and snorkeling. Snorkeling took place in a calm bay where we saw sea turtles swimming, sea lions and of course lots of fish. The final stop was a small bay where we saw a few penguins and blue footed boobies.

Day two was a diving day for me, Charles and Kent while Jenny and Ryan explored Puerto Aroya. We headed out to Gordon Rocks which is known best for its large hammerhead shark population. The first dive was a bit challenging with a strong current but we saw a half dozen hammerheads, lots of fish and Kent even saw an eel. The second dive was a bit better with less current, clearer visibility and we witnessed white tipped sharks, rays and all sorts of fish. It was a pretty good day of diving despite the cold waters and 7mm wetsuits! Even though the Galapagos Islands are near the Equator and you would think the water is warm the Humboldt Current runs through here bringing cold waters this time of year.

Day three was a 'relaxing' day (sans the relaxing part). We stayed on shore and in the morning hiked out to Tortuga Bay, which is probably the most beautiful white sandy beach we have ever seen. Iguanas scattered the beach, alternating between sunning themselves on rocks and wading into the surf. It is still a bit weird to be walking on a beach around iguanas. In the afternoon we visited a huge lava tube, which took about and hour to walk through. It was quite interesting but unfortunately very difficult to photograph.

Day four was a 3 hour boat trip out to Bartolome. This small island has a volcanic landscape and boasts dramatic vistas from atop the 372 step wooden staircase. After enjoying the view we went snorkeling, walked the beach (carefully giving the sea lions their distance) and then passed by an area to catch a few photos of penguins. We enjoyed a nice lunch onboard before returning to Puerto Aroya.

Santa Cruz has served as a good base for day trips. Here we were turned on to a fantastic little restaurant (basically a glorified street cart where the locals eat) for dinner where fresh lobster is served for $12. It was so tasty when it comes right off the BBQ that we ate there 3 of our 5 nights!

Next we are off to Isla San Cristobal Island for a few days.

Picture above is from Bartolome - Charles, Ryan, Jenny, Kent and Heather.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hiatus
Vessel Make/Model: CT-47
Hailing Port: Portland, OR USA
Crew: Heather and Kent Sisk
About: Email: sisk@svhiatus.com Skype: svhiatus
Extra: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain
Hiatus's Photos - Adventures of Hiatus (Main)
3 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
58 Photos
Created 3 April 2009
Pictures from Roatan.
61 Photos
Created 21 February 2009
Photos from Cartagena Columbia.
43 Photos
Created 2 January 2009
Transit through the Panama Canal, Perlas Islands and the San Blas Islands.
110 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
Exploring the Galapagos Islands with our friends, The Turners.
16 Photos
Created 1 November 2008
Exploring the Galapagos Islands with our friends, The Turners.
118 Photos
Created 6 October 2008
Travels with our friends, The Poes through Peru.
68 Photos
Created 6 October 2008
We will spend a few months moored in Ecuador to wait out the hurricane season north of us.
89 Photos
Created 11 June 2008
Quickly we pass through these countries .... we wish we could stay longer but we need to get south to Ecuador.
21 Photos
Created 12 May 2008
Pictures from our travels inland.
52 Photos
Created 6 May 2008
There is more to Mexico than tortilla chips and salsa ...
69 Photos
Created 19 December 2007
Heading south ...
16 Photos
Created 21 October 2007
4 Photos
Created 29 August 2007
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain