Adventures of Hiatus

08 June 2009
31 May 2009 | Portland, OR
14 May 2009 | Seabrook, Texas
13 May 2009
12 May 2009 | Texas
11 May 2009 | Gulf of Mexico
10 May 2009 | Gulf of Mexico
08 May 2009 | Gulf of Mexico
07 May 2009 | Mexico
01 May 2009 | Mexico
27 April 2009 | Belize
22 April 2009 | Lighthouse Reef, Belize
21 April 2009 | Lighthouse Reef, Belize
17 April 2009 | Cay Caulker
08 April 2009 | Belize
29 March 2009 | Lighthouse Reef, Belize
27 March 2009 | Honduras
16 March 2009 | Honduras
09 March 2009 | La Ceiba, Roatan
04 March 2009 | Roatan, Honduras

Winchester Guest Blog Post

22 February 2009 | Roatan, Honduras
Steph and Dane Winchester
Our trip to Honduras has been spectacular thanks to Kent and Heather (and of course the fine sailing vessel Hiatus)! To start out we spent the first few days at the beautiful Barefoot Cay Resort. Kent, Heather, and I were able to get in two awesome dives, including the famous "Mary's Place" with cool canyons you could swim through. Yummy food and great facilities at Barefoot Cay. We then decided we needed to take a wander east to visit Graham's Cay, an 8 hour motor. On the way we stopped at Jonesville, the site of the famous "Hole in the Wall" Bar. It was a nice protected place to spend the day and break up a long upwind motor, and do some speedy engine repair by Kent (aka the diesel mechanic). The next morning we continued on our journey to Graham's Cay. This truly was paradise. Picture a sandy beach cay surrounded by beautiful blue water. We spent a couple of days at this little bit of paradise. A super cool bar with really good dinners (Wahoo!), combined with a spectacular scene made this well worth the trip.

On Thursday morning we left Graham's Cay for the West Side of Roatan. This was a beautiful downwind sail where we were able to use the spinnaker most of the way. During the trip we were also treated to Kent's pasta that is a traditional under way staple. Thanks Kent!

The West End of Roatan is amazing. Well, once you are able to make it through the reef into the harbor. There is a small opening in the reef that is, oh, maybe 30' wide. It looked like Heather and I could have gotten out and walked the boat through the "opening". I think Kent said he saw a flash of 6'9" on the depth sounder (boat draws 6'5")- SCARY! The West End is a super cool area with tons of restaurants and dive shops (more than 20 dive shops here!). We immediately scheduled two dives for the next day and decided which of the many restaurants we would start with. We started off the night with drinks at the Sundowner Bar while watching an amazing sunset followed by dinner at the Rotisserie Chicken place. YUM! It was so good we ate there the next day, too. Our last dinner here was spent at the Argentinean Grill, which was also amazing.

This has been a fabulous trip thanks to the Heather and Kent! They are amazing hosts and we are grateful for their hospitality. This trip was a great break from work and the Portland winter.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hiatus
Vessel Make/Model: CT-47
Hailing Port: Portland, OR USA
Crew: Heather and Kent Sisk
About: Email: sisk@svhiatus.com Skype: svhiatus
Extra: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain
Hiatus's Photos - Adventures of Hiatus (Main)
3 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
58 Photos
Created 3 April 2009
Pictures from Roatan.
61 Photos
Created 21 February 2009
Photos from Cartagena Columbia.
43 Photos
Created 2 January 2009
Transit through the Panama Canal, Perlas Islands and the San Blas Islands.
110 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
Exploring the Galapagos Islands with our friends, The Turners.
16 Photos
Created 1 November 2008
Exploring the Galapagos Islands with our friends, The Turners.
118 Photos
Created 6 October 2008
Travels with our friends, The Poes through Peru.
68 Photos
Created 6 October 2008
We will spend a few months moored in Ecuador to wait out the hurricane season north of us.
89 Photos
Created 11 June 2008
Quickly we pass through these countries .... we wish we could stay longer but we need to get south to Ecuador.
21 Photos
Created 12 May 2008
Pictures from our travels inland.
52 Photos
Created 6 May 2008
There is more to Mexico than tortilla chips and salsa ...
69 Photos
Created 19 December 2007
Heading south ...
16 Photos
Created 21 October 2007
4 Photos
Created 29 August 2007
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain