High Stepper Cruising

05 December 2011
04 December 2011
22 November 2011 | Albemarle Plantation
01 May 2011 | Albemarle Plantation, Hertford, NC
20 April 2011 | Carolina Beach, NC
17 April 2011 | Charleston, sc
11 April 2011 | Daytona Beach, FL
10 April 2011 | Melbourne, FL
06 April 2011 | Vero Beach, FL
31 March 2011 | Vero Beach, FL
26 March 2011 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
24 March 2011 | Boot Key Harbor, FL
18 March 2011 | Crandon Park Marina, Key Biscayne
15 March 2011 | New Providence Island
12 March 2011 | Staniel Cay
06 March 2011 | Pipe Creek
02 March 2011 | Staniel Cay
25 February 2011 | Rocky Point
24 February 2011 | Flamingo Cay, Jumentos
20 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay, Jumentos

Leaving the Jumentos

24 February 2011 | Flamingo Cay, Jumentos
Doug and Connie
Today's picture is of the Junkanoo drummers and dancers at the Valentine's Day party. 2/24 - We got underway this morning and had a great sail to Flamingo Cay, about 42 miles away. The winds were about 15 knots on the beam and we flew along, at times reaching 7.5 knots. As we approached the normal anchorage on the west side we could see a couple of boats in there that were really rolling, so we headed around the north tip of the island and it appears to be much smoother in here.

2/23 - There was a radio call this morning from a boat that just got back from Cuba. It seems they had purchased a stalk of bananas and they were all coming ripe at the same time, so they were giving them away. These bananas are called sugar bananas and are about half the size of the regular banana but very sweet. Later Connie made bead and washed clothes. In the afternoon we took a beach walk and found quite a few plastic and metal fishing floats. In the evening we went to shore where a couple of cruisers just back from Cuba were sharing their experiences.

2/22 - We transferred 18 gallons of diesel from the jerry jugs to the main tank. That is all the fuel we have used since we left Long Island on January 30 (both motoring and running the generator)! In the afternoon Doug and Murray went line fishing in the cut north of Hog Cay. While fishing they saw a shark a ways behind the dinghy, but kept fishing anyway. A short time later Murray hooked a nice fish and as he got it close to the back of the dinghy and prepared to lift it into the boat, the shark came out of the water and tried to steal it away - it was a 6 foot shark and only about a foot from the back of the boat. Later this evening the 7 boats in the anchorage got together to burn some trash and share sundowners and a green flash. This size gathering is a lot more fun than the large ones we had recently.

2/21 - This morning we picked up some more fronds and then sailed and motored back to Hog Cay. There appears to be a nice weather window coming up for us to head north on. So we wanted to say goodbye to all our friends anchored at Hog Cay. This evening friends on Scottish Mist and us had sundowners on Windswept IV.
Comments
Vessel Name: High Stepper
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 44DS
Hailing Port: Hertford, NC
Crew: Doug & Connie Merrill
About: Have cruised the Bahamas and the east coast for five years.
Home Page: http://sailblogs.com/member/highstepper

Who: Doug & Connie Merrill
Port: Hertford, NC