High Stepper Cruising

05 December 2011
04 December 2011
22 November 2011 | Albemarle Plantation
01 May 2011 | Albemarle Plantation, Hertford, NC
20 April 2011 | Carolina Beach, NC
17 April 2011 | Charleston, sc
11 April 2011 | Daytona Beach, FL
10 April 2011 | Melbourne, FL
06 April 2011 | Vero Beach, FL
31 March 2011 | Vero Beach, FL
26 March 2011 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
24 March 2011 | Boot Key Harbor, FL
18 March 2011 | Crandon Park Marina, Key Biscayne
15 March 2011 | New Providence Island
12 March 2011 | Staniel Cay
06 March 2011 | Pipe Creek
02 March 2011 | Staniel Cay
25 February 2011 | Rocky Point
24 February 2011 | Flamingo Cay, Jumentos
20 February 2011 | Raccoon Cay, Jumentos

The Back Side

25 February 2011 | Rocky Point
Doug and Connie
2/25 - Last night didn't turn out so good! During the daylight hours we set up the riding sail and a bridle to defend against a small roll coming into the anchorage. We set the bridle so that the boat was hanging equally on the anchor rode and the bridle attached to the stern cleat, so the boat was broadside to the wind. This worked well through the evening hours. About 8:30 pm the wind kicked up to about 20 knots and we really began to rock and roll. And it kept up all night! There is a spot in the aft cabin where we sleep that really squeaks when the boat is moving in certain motions. The noise is very irritating and requires ear plugs. But tonight we couldn't put the ear plugs in as we had the anchor alarm on the chart plotter in case we dragged. The whole night was quite spooky and very uncomfortable as we were in a small cove with rocky shores on three sides of us. During the night we couldn't see anything which would provide a reference point - no lights, no shoreline, nothing. Don't know what we would have done if we dragged, but fortunately we would have dragged out the mouth of the cove - I think. The good news is that the Rocna anchor held and we did not move at all during the night. We were up at first light and headed out shortly thereafter. The winds were still 20 knots from the starboard aft quarter so there were 3 to 4 foot swells making it a little lumpy for the first couple of hours. Then the winds dropped to 15 knots and it got very comfortable. Before the afternoon was over the winds had died all the way to 10 knots, but we were still sailing. Tonight we are anchored off a little cay - Rocky Point - on the back side of Great Exuma Island and the anchorage is very calm - so far.
Comments
Vessel Name: High Stepper
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 44DS
Hailing Port: Hertford, NC
Crew: Doug & Connie Merrill
About: Have cruised the Bahamas and the east coast for five years.
Home Page: http://sailblogs.com/member/highstepper

Who: Doug & Connie Merrill
Port: Hertford, NC