Next Verse

09 January 2013 | Port Canaveral, FL
13 November 2012 | Key West, FL
26 October 2012 | Key West, FL
16 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
13 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
12 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
12 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
10 October 2012 | Key Largo, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
05 October 2012 | Cocoa Beach, FL
04 October 2012 | New Smyrna Beach, FL
03 October 2012 | St Augustine
01 October 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
30 August 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
25 August 2012 | Isle of Hope, GA
21 August 2012 | Charleston, SC
21 August 2012 | Charleston, SC

First Port of Call

04 August 2008 | Ludington,Mi
Mike
Well, you wanted exotic, tropical locations... I give you... LUDINGTON, MICHIGAN! Actually its a cool little town with a great municipal marina.

First, a few words about the crossing:

"@#**!! National Weather Service!" OK, I plan to sponsor legislation for the national weather service to change their name to "your guess is as good as mine." The forcast was for N/E winds 5-10 kts changing to South in the late afternoon, waves 1-2 feet. Sounds pretty benign doesn't it? *ahem* Try 20 - 23 kts of wind with constant 5 to 6 foot swells with an occasional 8 footer thrown in for effect. Furthermore, the wind seemed to be coming directly from our destination. (naturally)

OK, I know that sailors are proned to exaggeration regarding the conditions of a rough crossing, but I have witnesses. I learned later that the "Lake Express" ferry had dozens of sick passengers during their crossings and they considered cancelling them.

Anyway, I fell off of our intended course enough to motor sail at 7.5 to 7.7 kts and avoid knocking or teeth loose on the swells. By the time we were five miles off the coast of White Lake, Michigan, Cole and I were the only ones who were not sea sick! Dave and Mike were good sports and did not snivel but it was obvious they weren't feeling well.

When the wind and waves finally settled about midnight, they recovered enough to stand watch while Cole and I napped. In the calmer conditions, we were able to motor north to our intended destination.

We arrived at Ludington at about 0800 on a beautiful morning and found a slip in the municipal marina. After a celebratory beverage we settled down for a well-desrved nap.

We got up in the afternoon and visited briefly with Racine boat neighbor Jan and her husband Pat. They came to see us after taking the Lake Express ferry over from Milwaukee. That's where I got my information about the conditions on the ferry the day before.

Then it was time to clean up and walk to town for dinner. All things considered a good first trip. Hopefully the conditions will be a little bit less challenging to my vessel and crew on the next one.

Here's a pic from the late afternoon, when only Cole and I were still vertical.
Comments
Vessel Name: Norma Fay
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 386
Hailing Port: Racine, Wisconsin
Crew: Mike Miller
About: I recently retired from the trop-rock band the "Boat Drunks" and I'm going sailing. Heading through the Eastern Great Lakes, down the ICW and to the Bahamas for starters. Then...We'll see!

Norma Fay

Who: Mike Miller
Port: Racine, Wisconsin