Next Verse

09 January 2013 | Port Canaveral, FL
13 November 2012 | Key West, FL
26 October 2012 | Key West, FL
16 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
13 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
12 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
12 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
10 October 2012 | Key Largo, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
05 October 2012 | Cocoa Beach, FL
04 October 2012 | New Smyrna Beach, FL
03 October 2012 | St Augustine
01 October 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
30 August 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
25 August 2012 | Isle of Hope, GA
21 August 2012 | Charleston, SC
21 August 2012 | Charleston, SC

BEAVER ISLAND!

06 August 2008 | Beaver Island, MI (Of Course)
Mike
After a decent night's sleep in the anchorage on South Manitou Island....(first night at anchor anxiety.....Did I do that right???) We raised the anchor just after sunrise and sailed past the Manitou Shoal Light enroute to Beaver Island. (No, Andy, that's not why they call it that......although I really don't know why they do.)

For those of you not familiar with Beaver Island, let me tell you its beautiful on the whole. Apparently, it was settled by Irish immigrants and calls itself "Michigan's Emerald Isle." I have to say however that parts of it are very, shall we say.... rustic.

Anyway, we arrived at the island in winds building to about 25 knots. We were directed by our marina (one of two on the island.....not the municipal marina....that's all I'm sayin') to their "fuel dock."

This was a semi-permanently moored barge with very sharp and jagged steel edges that was only accessable from land by walking over two pieces of lumber. (Apparently OSHA hasn't found Beaver Island yet....)

Anyway, after navigating the shallows to the "fuel dock" and bouncing off the bottom just prior to arrival, we managed to tie up before I discovered that we had just docked a water ballon on the business-end of a can opener! And the wind was blowing us very quickly onto the "dock."

Somehow we managed to get in and out and to our slip with no damage. Anyway, despite spending the night at the maritime equivalent of the "Bates Motel" we had a great time. Actually the people at the marina were very nice and the island was great.

I didn't actually take any pictures there but I'll throw in another from South Manitou.

Comments
Vessel Name: Norma Fay
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 386
Hailing Port: Racine, Wisconsin
Crew: Mike Miller
About: I recently retired from the trop-rock band the "Boat Drunks" and I'm going sailing. Heading through the Eastern Great Lakes, down the ICW and to the Bahamas for starters. Then...We'll see!

Norma Fay

Who: Mike Miller
Port: Racine, Wisconsin