HOMECOMING

Rogue Wave

Sometimes when you are out on the water you get that random rogue wave that does not follow that days normal pattern. Well we have been hit by a life rogue wave. Our sailing season will be getting a delayed start.

I have a solid mass on my kidney. I went in for a CT scan to check my hernia which had caused me some discomfort. The hernia turned out fine but they incidentally found a hard lesion on my kidney. An MRI followed, which confirmed a solid mass. A biopsy isn't called for as there are too many false negatives.

After seeing 3 doctor's a plan has been set. I will be having a partial nephrectomy. They will cut out the tumor and margins around it from my kidney. Complicating things, the wire mesh and titanium staples from the hernia surgery is blocking entry from the front which is how they usually access the kidney during surgery. We saw a surgeon today at Mt. Sinai in NYC who specializes in Robotic surgery entering through the back. He has agreed to to the surgery.

After processing my shock, despair, fear, sadness and anger I am now in a better frame of mind. I have never shied away from taking care of my mental health, so kudos to therapy, meds, Peter, and humor. My only request is to please don't say the word "fight" or sentiments like "you are going to fight this and win"... For me, it is not win or lose, I am just going to do what I need to do to get through being hit by this rogue life wave.

I am open about this and very happy to answer questions, talk, text, or email. Everyone has to decide how they handle their own journey, no right or wrong - this is just my way.
Colleen

update: surgery happened and tumor was removed. Recovering. We will be leaving for Greece now on April 29th. We hope to have Homecoming in the water by Wednesday and then we will start working our way towards Italy and from there along the Spanish coast, through the Gibraltar Straight and into the Canary Islands. We have 90 days with our visa to do this so we better get moving!



Comments