The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

1 Year In, Top 10

03 September 2009 | Neiafu, Vava'u Group, Tonga
Author: Seth
Picture: We've come a long way in a year - and much has changed (including the original interior color scheme shown above). But the biggest changes have been in what we have learned.
Days at Sea: 365!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

365 days at sea! Back on September 4th, 2008, we officially closed the sale and moved onto our boat, so it has been a solid year at sea! To mark the occasion we have added one more Top 10 list, the things we have learned. Enjoy!

TOP 10 THINGS WE HAVE LEARNED:

10) Although GPS has revolutionized navigation, good ol' eyesight is still king. Often we find that the charts are accurate, but our position on them is off significantly (sometimes it shows our boat over ground or the reef we are trying to avoid!). Sunlight is needed to see dangers and we've even learned to pull into the sunny side of an anchorage first so that we can see the rest of it with the sun behind our backs - a great little trick that more sailors should do.

9) Join a rally. We learned so much from our experiences as part of the Caribbean 1500 Rally that I don't know if we would be in the South Pacific today without them. All the cruisers were so helpful and informative, and the assistance underway with weather routing and check-ins was beneficial. We owe most of what we know about blue water sailing to Steve Black's C-1500 Rally.

8) It takes about six months to fully relax. And maybe a few additional months to stop dreaming about work. Life is much slower out here and even something as simple as taking the time to genuinely say hello to someone in a shop before attacking them with your questions is a very hard task to re-learn. It's island time and you better get used to it.

7) The world is really not all that big. If we can cross the Pacific Ocean in 20 days at 7mph, how big could it be? And finding an anchorage alone is far more difficult than it should be. Sadly, it's not all that big an orb.

6) Contrary to what you might experience at home, people are nice to one another. Out here everyone waves at you on the street (even the drivers going past do!). People are here to genuinely help one another - particularly cruisers. As you find yourself in more remote areas, people are innately nice. It's good to see that the human race has a chance.

5) You need to learn how to fix your own boat. Diesel Engines are actually simple machines. If you change your impellers, fuel filters and oil often enough, you probably won't encounter many problems. It's all about clean air, fuel and oil! And you'll need to know how to bleed a line of air - something so simple that I am amazed I didn't know how to do before this trip.

4) Finding chicken breasts is a lot harder than you would ever think. Live chickens are everywhere (especially roosters, it would seem), but all you can find in stores are "Tyson's Frying Chicken Parts," which exclude breasts. Where all the breasts go is a mystery.

3) It's really quite important to leave your anchor light on at night. We have met many sailors that are concerned about energy draw but the local fishermen leave in the dark of morning and might not see your boat. Get an LED and keep a light on!

2) "Slow is Pro" - or as our good friend Captain Bob on Comanche once told me, "when uncertain, only go as fast as you want to hit something." Too many boaters fly into marinas or anchorages, and while they may feel manly doing things quickly, the true experts out here will shake their heads.

1) Sailing around the world is all much easier than I ever expected. Get out and sail!

Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA