The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

Guest Blog: Janice 2.0!

29 August 2009 | Vava'u Group, Tonga
Author: Janice - Guest Blog Entry
Picture: Janice and Elizabeth, happy to be together again on Honeymoon.

Where in the world...is Tonga?!?

This is a question I asked myself, and had many asked me, as I embarked on a trip to visit Seth and Elizabeth on the "Honeymoon". Contrary to popular belief, Tonga is not in Africa, but rather the South Pacific. A docile place, floating somewhere between Fiji, New Zealand, and Somoa, it's a Kingdom of 171 mostly uninhabited islands. On a whim out of Seth's idea to surprise Elizabeth for her Big Birthday, I would have booked a ticket to anywhere to jump on board their "yacht" again. So Tonga it was. However, upon further research, after flight cancellations and delays, and after finding information years old and outdated online, I had a nagging suspicion ... should I be going to somewhere more wellknown, with endless exotic destinations and promises of proven paradise? Somewhere like...Fiji??

Sometime in the midst of my inner query the stars aligned and the seas cooperated and I was on a plane to Tonga. In "Totally Tonga" fashion, I was to meet Seth at the local meeting spot...the "Big Tree in front of the old Post Office" . Need I say more?

We met in Vava'u, a northern group of islands which seems to be the cruisers gathering place of the south pacific. I was lucky enough to meet many of their sailing friends they've met along the way, and knew most at first by their boat names before any of their first names... Dosia, Love Song, MonkeyFeet, Victory Cat, Follow You Follow Me, Wayward Wind, Zen, Thumbs Up and more. I experienced the "markets" with Elizabeth trying to get provisions for the boat by dinghy, explored the town of locals, expats, and many pigs and their piglets, and discovered hidden café's and bakeries. We celebrated birthdays, danced to the 80's and Willie Nelson, and made pizza, stir-fry, and Chicken parmesean (Or rather Elizabeth did with her new Chef skills). We sailed to deserted islands, hiked to a village, spotted whales, went scuba diving amid soft coral and fish with whales singing under water, dined at a spanish "restaurant" on a secluded island, and played cards and drank vino by moonlight on the boat.

In honor of the top 10's they've been posting, I add a top 10 to my list... Tonga. Surprising Elizabeth for her birthday was the draw and spending time with two great friends the core of the trip, but somewhere in the course of 10 days in this Kingdom the nature of the people, the quiet solitude of the islands, and the beauty of the waters move you. I know now why they call it Tongan time. There is really no place you need to be, no one you have to meet, and nothing you have to do. Not in Tonga. Somewhere between San Francisco and New Zealand, in a little unknown cluster of islands, time stands still.
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA