The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

Mel Gibson's Island

24 September 2009 | Mel Gibson's Island, Mango, Lou Group, Fiji
Author: Seth
Picture: The sailing vessel Laerokeok with Mel Gibson's Island in the background.

Boating can be part tragedy and part miracle. This past week we certainly witnessed both.

Around dusk on the 17th, the sailing vessel Lariekoek hit the reef off Mango Island. She hit it hard and the boat went horizontal with the keel lying on the coral. Waves continued to slap the boat up and down on the rocks and after flipping it onto the other side the boat started taking on water. It wasn't sinking as the reef held it afloat, but there was certainly no way for the single handing owner to get her off. After a few moments he calmly issued a Mayday on VHF 16. Having lived on the boat for 17 years and nearing the finish of his second circumnavigation, it was certainly a tragedy.

Then the miracle happened. The island he hit happened to be owned by Mel Gibson. Yes, Mel Gibson. You know, Braveheart, The Patriot, Lethal Weapon - that Mel. And Mel's island manager quickly got 25 local Fijians together and within two hours they had helped the owner not only escape from the helpless yacht, but completely strip the insides of the boat (even the batteries were removed!). And if that were not enough, they tirelessly attempted to get the boat off the reef the next morning. With the aid of many tires and some long boards they were able to use the incoming tide to slowly pull the boat off the reef. Once she was floating again they were able to secure her to a mooring ball on the north side of the island. It was an incredible feat - one that would have cost thousands anywhere in America. And the Fijians did it simply to help out. And she didn't sink as the hole in the side of the boat happened to be above the water line!

So as you can see in the picture above, the boat is now floating upright again, but the damage is severe. The gel coat has been scratched away in several places, the keel is damaged and there are holes through the Starboard side of the hull - but at the very least the boat is floating again and there is at least a chance that it can be salvaged.

Honeymoon came into the picture only two days later as we passed the island and helped another cruiser from the boat Bravado get closer to the wreck. We then helped the owner put together an analysis for his insurance company with pictures and measurements of the damage. Adding to the miracle was an extremely friendly island manager who was not only kind enough to let us stay on the island but also gave us a tour! Although we didn't see Mel, we got the impression that he wouldn't mind us staying and snorkeling on his simply amazing reef (although we did refrain from taking the lobster we saw). All we can say is that if you are going to hit a reef somewhere, try to do it on Mel's island. What an experience!
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA