The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

12 days to departure!

22 October 2008 | Norfolk, VA (Willoughby Harbor)
Day 48/ 55 degrees, sunny, 10knts NE wind
Author: Seth
Picture: Did we bite off more than we can chew?
Google Earth Location: 36 57.903N 76 17.710W


The countdown has been going for quite a while now, but as we approach the final 12 days to our Caribbean departure I am finding that many projects remain. Thankfully we secured a fourth crewmember yesterday and we can now focus completely on getting the boat ready. We haven't said much about our sailing plans on our blog, so I'll provide an update here...

Cruisers have two options when traveling south for the winter. Our original plan was to take the ICW (Intracoastal Waterway) south to Florida and then travel east to the Caribbean via the Bahamas. This plan was great because the waterway is protected from the open ocean and extends from Norfolk all the way to northern Florida, but becomes problematic when trying to sail due east toward the Caribbean into the easterly trade winds. The second option is considerably riskier, but avoids the bow into the wind bash by sailing two or three days off-shore from Norfolk toward Bermuda and then turning south to take advantage of the easterly winds off your beam once you reach the gulf stream - arriving directly in the British Virgin Islands (which I personally consider much nicer than northern Florida).

My mom was not very happy at first with this "open ocean" idea as it meant we would spend somewhere between 7 and 12 days at sea, sailing 24 hours a day across 1,500 miles of the Atlantic ocean before arriving. However, safety can be secured by making the passage with many other boats heading south (or "Snow Birds," as Charles calls us). So, we have decided to join the largest and most popular Cruising Rally, appropriately named the "Caribbean 1500." The Rally has over a 20 year history and will probably include 70 other boats looking to head South like we are (lucky bunch!). They say the Rally parties before and after make it worthwhile, but the daily check-ins and weather updates while crossing are the real benefit. And the organizer, a gentleman named Steve Black, can also help you coordinate crew to help you cross, which is mandatory given the length of time at sea.

So, with Mr. Black's help we are happy to officially welcome Steve Spracher and Henry Yung to our crew! Steve sailed on an identical boat in last year's C-1500 and will provide us un-matched lagoon experience, while Henry brings a 50 ton US Coast Guard Master's license and two prior C-1500 experiences (one of which involved Hurricane Mitch in 1998!). With their combined experiences, my terrible guitar ability and Elizabeth's excellent animal spotting skills, we hope to cross safely, quickly and entertained.

So the countdown is on. We have 12 days to install a Single Sideband Radio, new anchor, water tank drinking filters and deck wash-down pump; repair two weak lazarette covers and worn rigging blocks; and most importantly figure out a way to play our iPod on the boat stereo! Wish us luck.
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA