The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

Stranded but happy

04 November 2008 | Bluewater Yacht Center, Hampton VA
Drizzle, 60's, wind 5 knts from the West
Author: Elizabeth
Picture: Elizabeth with "Barefoot Davis," one of the C-1500 coordinators and BVI singing legend.
Google Earth Location: 37 01.023N, 76 20.517W

For the past three months, Seth and I have been working toward a sail date of November 2nd. Now past that date, we must adjust to the fact that in sailing we are very dependent on Mother Nature and she has no regard for our calendar. There is a low-pressure system moving through the Gulf Stream (strange to me to say that or have concern for such a thing but now I must), which impedes our departure until Thursday at the earliest, most likely Friday. Learning to live without a firm schedule is a part of what this next year of life will be about: living life, not planning life. It will be a challenge for two corporate-MBA-American types but we want to embrace it.

Our first reaction to the delay was disappointment. We are ready to be in the paradise of the Caribbean (after all we "planned" on being there by November 10th or 11th)! However, the extra time has given us the opportunity to add a few more luxuries to the boat (like a water maker!!) and more importantly time to get to know the other Caribbean 1500 participants. This has been amazing! The rally is filled with well-educated, interesting, successful, dynamic people many of which have circumnavigated the globe (one woman by herself). There is a broad range of experience levels in the group ranging from cruisers with years of experience to those, like us, about to set out on their first ocean passage but the enthusiasm is evident in them all. The main message to us from the experienced cruisers is to "avoid rushing, slow down and enjoy the journey". Good advice for anyone in life, I think.

Most of the participants are quite a bit older than us and many are retired couples (mostly early retirement). Many of them have told us how fabulous it is that we are cruising now, early in our lives, early in our marriage. If we ever had any doubts about it, they are gone after meeting these people. As well, there are a couple of families with young children (two boats with three kids each, ages ranging from 4- 9). We are quickly become friends with them all. I have spent a lot of time with the kids and we are putting together a fashion show for everyone. It has been great fun (especially for me) and seeing these families living a non-traditional life with their children has been very inspirational for Seth and I. Although we never thought we had to have the white picket fence in the suburbs to have children, we never considered doing it on a boat traveling around the world. Don't panic "Moms" at this point it is just a thought, but a very interesting thought.

Overall, we are confident in our decision to embark on this next year, happy to be surrounded by so many wonderful new friends and determined to enjoy the journey!
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA