The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

Watermaker Install

05 November 2008 | Bluewater Yacht Center, Hampton VA
Rain, 50 degrees, Northerly winds 20 knots
Author: Seth
Picture: Our crew member, Steve, helping install a watermaker. It's Fun!
Google Earth Location: 37 01.023N, 76 20.517W

When it comes to boat installation projects any experienced boater can tell you that some are simple, and some are more difficult. Changing light bulbs, as one would guess, is fairly easy. But surprisingly it still sounds cool when you tell other boaters that you "swapped out our halogen bulbs for LEDs today." But as I have learned recently, you get serious credit (and raised eyebrows) for being able to say that you are "installing a watermaker" with just three days left before your departure (from which you will not return for over a year).

So this is what we are doing now. Installing a watermaker, which, as its name describes, makes freshwater from saltwater. I could try and impress/bore you with how exactly it does this, but I honestly don't know much more than it uses a couple of filters and something that I have learned to call a "membrane" to separate the salt water from the freshwater at close to the rate of 8 gallons per hour. Pretty cool actually - especially since I was always impressed with my camping water filter that JUST cleaned river water. I mean, this thing does that AND removes salt water. How cool is that?

Unfortunately it is not very cool when it comes to installing the thing as it's quite large, is made up of close to 20 different parts that need to be installed in all corners of the boat, requires both plumbing and electrical expertise along with the ability to "grind fiberglass" and "lay epoxy," all of which are things I had a faint idea of how to do, but have now become an expert in. All this because some storm caused us a delay and provided me the time to take on yet another crazy task. We need to get out of here before I decide to update our standing rigging...

So while we wait out our current weather pattern we hope to finish this watermaker install - and can hopefully get it done in time to depart Friday as planned. Although the entire rally has their eyes on Tropical Depression Seventeen - as current models project this to collide with our rally in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. We'll find out tomorrow, we think, if we will continue with our plans or wait it out in the marina for another couple days. Hopefully we can leave so I don't have the opportunity to do anything else!

Ahhhhh, the relaxing life of boating.
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA