The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

Day 3 of 10: Jerry-rig

09 November 2008 | Atlantic Ocean
Lightning, 30 knot winds, 10 foot seas
Author: Seth
"Jerry-rig" - "To fix an object (usually mechanical) to a working condition in a haphazard way."
Pic: Steve and I at the mast removing the sail cars.
Google Earth Position at 06:00: 35 09.000N, 71 30.000W


As I took my midnight to 3am watch the weather conditions deteriorated around us. At 2:45am I recorded in the Captains Log that we were outrunning lightning storms with only 20% of our jib unfurled and seas growing to 10 foot swells, sending the boat into a pounding rhythm that probably made sleep all but impossible down below. In fact, Henry was passed out on the saloon sofa, unable to sleep in his bunk below due to his worsening seasickness. The wind was gusting to around 30 knots and I was left wondering what Elizabeth was going to say when I woke her at 6am for her time on watch.

Thankfully the weather started to improve and as the sun came out and we found ourselves in big seas but light winds. As the pictures attest, it was a sunny day and we were quite lucky to have an opportunity to better view the damage we had caused the previous afternoon. Although chances were slim that we could jerry rig our boat to sail all the way south to Tortola, we wanted to try.

Our plan was simple, but in the end would take over eight hours to complete and would leave us with only 80% of our mainsail for the remaining 8 days at sea. We would basically perform a bit of surgery on our mast - taking cars from the lower sections of the sail and placing them at the top where the headboard had pulled free. What may sound simple was no walk in the park as each car contained 48 ball bearings that we would need to load individually. Losing just a few of them would have only made matters worse than they were 12 hours ago.

Thankfully it all worked perfectly and showed that our "crew" could work together and triumph as a result. Everyone contributed to the outcome and after several hours of work we were extremely pleased to hoist our mainsail to the first reef, divert from our current course to Bermuda and head south following the rest of the fleet. An accomplishment I proudly boasted of on the SSB radio call that evening.

Come hell or high water (how appropriate, no?), we would limp our way south before quitting! Although we were already in last place, were sailing with a weakened mainsail and were now an additional half a day behind, we would be joining the fleet in the BVIs. And nothing could have made us happier.

But a few distant thought remained in my head. Just how did this happen and what did the track look like at the top of the mast? Once we got to Tortola would we be able to get new cars and raise the sail to the weakened section - or would we need to replace the entire track, thereby removing the entire mast to do so? Only time would tell, but we were far from out of this one yet.
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA