The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

The Girls Visit

20 December 2008 | Leeward Islands
Author: Elizabeth
Day: 107
Pic: The Girls and the largest private sailboat in the world, the Maltese Falcon.
Google Earth Location: 17 53.505N, 62 50.900W


Janice flew from San Francisco and Risa from New York to meet us in Saint Martin. Unfortunately due to weather and our continuing generator issues, we were two days overdue to meet them. The girls were very understanding and suffered in silence in a beautiful resort on the island without us!

I was thrilled to see two of my closest friends so far from home and greatly appreciated how far they had traveled to see us. We had an amazing week. The first couple of days we spent exploring Saint Martin then off on a sail to the small island of Ile Fourche. The island's only inhabitants (goats) ate themselves out of a home years before so there was not much there. However, we had a beautiful hike to the top of the ridge the next day and enjoyed a very peaceful anchorage the night we arrived (in the dark finding a mooring was quite the challenge).

From this quiet island, we sailed to "tres chic" Saint Barts. This is an island chocker blocked with mega yachts and expensive designer boutiques. Risa had arrived with numerous restaurant recommendations and our favorite was on shell beach. This beautiful cove had one of the best beach restaurant/ bars I have ever been to: Du Brazil. Set naturally into the cliff, it blends into the surroundings unobtrusively but offering delicious fare and great drinks. We had a lot of fun on this island of expensive taste: trying out restaurants, exploring the "chi-chi" shops and lounging on the beach.

However our biggest adventure on Saint Barts was our attempt to fill our water tanks. It was very windy and the water inside the marina had strong currents, spilling up over the walls of the docks but we were advised to back our boat in between two mega yachts up to the dock to get our water. We attempted this maneuver however it quickly felt ill advised as we were about to brush up against yachts that had paint jobs worth more than our boat. In addition, the scene was interesting enough to bring their entire crew on deck to watch our attempt. Seth aborted the mission and I finally could take a breath.

From Saint Barts we traveled to its antithesis: Statia, a small, undeveloped island, population 1500. When we arrived the locals told us we were just in time for their weekly bbq at a local restaurant that pleasantly surprised us with delicious bbq lobster and a live one-man show. The townspeople were extremely friendly and the man (Neptune) who had helped us get water and advised us of the bbq offered to show Risa around the island as she was the only one who would not scuba dive the next day. We had a great scuba in the morning, explored the island's history and left with fond memories.
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA