Hukilau Sails the Sound

A Sad Day

24 October 2011
Yesterday (October 23), I took the sails off Hukilau, and generally prepped her for the hard. It was a cloudy day with a minor breeze, but all in all, a good time to do the work. It was becoming clear that there would be no more sailing this year: this past weekend was Parents' Weekend at Choate and Patti had to work on Sunday, and this coming weekend, Patti will be in NYC, and then its November. And this morning, the temps were in the thirties.

Lily joined me, but didn't help. But she has a minor concussion, so I wanted her to just sit there and read her book. So she did. No problems or issues with the work: battery off, engine run dry; starter cables wound up, sails off (a tear in the genny!), boom in the cabin, portable toilet removed; cushions removed, yada, yada, yada. It took almost two hours. The large sailboats across the dock were already out, as was Carlo. Bob's Catalina 25 was still in her slip but the mast was off. Weirdly, someone had swiped one of my dock lines.

For the winter: have the sails inspected/repaired/cleaned, and get a new welcome mat!

Once the boat is out, I will have to go over there and remove the engine. So, I don't have to say goodbye just yet.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.