Hukilau Sails the Sound

First of the Season

27 May 2013
Memorial Day, and we have finally shed the rain and cold of the past few days. Its sunny and beautiful out today, high 60's, low 70's. However, its still very windy. The past two days, there have been small craft warnings and advisories, as the wind has been gusting past 30 knots. The wind was supposed to moderate today, with speeds of only 10-12. However, when Patti, Dan and I got to the boat (Lily home "studying" for finals), the boughs of the trees were swaying fiercely, and the flags were snapping in the strong wind.

We stopped at the fuel dock for a couple of gallons of gas, as I had forgotten to bring my new tote, and then out to the harbor. The new chartplotter is way cool. It showed the depths and temp of the water, and our SOG. We unfurled about half the genny, leaving the main on the boom completely; never even took off the cover.

Dan and Patti were ok with the slight heel, but the wave action was making them a bit nervous. As we approached the end of the harbor and were about to go into the Sound, it got even rougher, and the wind picked up. We promptly turned around and decided to sail only in the harbor. Back and forth a few times; each time we approached the Sound, the waves and wind would make the crew apprehensive. After about twenty minutes of that, we decided to head back in. The wind made docking a bit dicey; I hit the port bow on the dock, leaving a black mark on the boat. Ick. Off to the lobster shack for lunch, then a quick stop at Mom and Dad's so they could finally see Dan.

Bodre, Rachel and Diane stopped off at home later in the day. We exchanged gifts (although why we got a gift when they got married is a bit of a mystery). Best of luck to them.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.