Hukilau Sails the Sound

Post-Surgical Sailing

28 July 2013
I had my sinus and throat surgery on Tuesday, July 16 and was pretty much out of it on vicodain until the next Sunday, and under restrictions (don't bend over, don't lift anything over 5 lbs. etc.) until Friday. The dr gave me a clean bill of health, and the green light to resume normal activities. Patti (bless her), knew the best way to get me better was to have us all go sailing. So the entire family packed up for a Saturday sail. The weather was much less hot and humid than it has been.

We stopped at Ray and Mikes for sandwiches on the way. They are redoing the 91-95 interchange, so there was a big traffic jam on 91, putting us in stop and go traffic. We were all hungry, so we ate our fabulous sandwiches in the car.

At the boat, the conditions were perfect. There was some grumbling that we should just motor out to the harbor and pick up a mooring, but I wanted to sail, dammit, and we were going to sail, even if for only a short while. We hoisted the full main (Dan did so!), and rolled out the full genny. Off we went, barely ghosting along until we got out into the Sound, and the winds picked up a bit. Not a lot of heeling at all, but we were hitting 5 knots at times in perfect conditions. We sailed southwest past the Cow and calf for a couple of miles, then turned around and sailed back. Even Dan and Lily were saying how nice it was. On the way back, we overtook a Seaward 25; nice boat! We were sailing for around an hour or so.

We picked up a mooring in the harbor (Ulysses "PRIVATE"), put out the ladder, and then Patti, Dan and I went swimming. The water was beautiful. We relaxed, read, talked and had snacks until about 5 pm. Then off to Lenny's, where Patti and Dan had lobsters, Lily had them make up a GF version of the lobster roll, and I had the Polynesian Special: ribs and coconut shrimp.

All in all, I highly recommend sailing as a cure for what ails ye.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.