Hukilau Sails the Sound

Customer appreciation Day and Sail

09 June 2015
On June 6, Patti and I went out for a sail. But first, Customer Appreciation Day at B&J. The marina had one of the buildings used for boat storage set up with tables, chairs and fixin's. Burgers and dogs cooked outside, and a band too! Mmmmm, burgers.

After a nice lunch, we got to the boat around 2 and were out of the slip by 2:15. The wind appeared to stronger, so I kept the reef in the sail that I had put in last weekend. Winds were from the east, but appeared to be around 15 knots, so we just unrolled the genny once in the outer harbor. We sailed out south, towards the Reef.

Not too much heeling, and we were running between 4 and 5.5 knots most of the time, with the water gurgling under the transom. The day was beautiful, with white puffy clouds and in the mid-70's. Once we got out past the Reef, the winds picked up even more, with the waves starting to crest a bit. Seas were about two feet, but choppy. Patti started to get uncomfortable, so we turned around headed back in. I wound up rolling up the genny a bit to make things more comfortable. The stronger winds kept up all the way in, and they backed to the south quite a bit. I completely furled the genny and started the engine before we entered the harbor. Docking was uneventful.

Afterwards, out to dinner with Bill and Delores. A fine Saturday.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.