Hukilau Sails the Sound

Talia and The Big Wind

04 August 2015
Debbie and Talia are up for the week, and Talia wanted to go sailing. We picked yesterday (Aug 3) last week, hoping the weather would cooperate.

Well, the sun was shining, but the wind was big. It was a steady 12 or more mph, with warnings of gusts over 20. We motored out, with the hope that it might be less windy out in the harbor or on the Sound.

As we passed Branford Point, it became a little rough: the wind was running into the teeth of the ebbing tide, making for choppy water. The first time we splashed through and some spray came into the cockpit, Talia smiled and laughed as she steered the boat. But the waves started getting bigger as we approached the Mermaids, and she got scared and said she was getting sea sick. So we turned around immediately and went back to the dock.

I must say that the docking was one of my worst. The current/wind was pushing the stern toward shore, and I had to jump off and pull the boat into the slip. Not easy when I left the engine in gear. Oy. Do better Cap'n Mern. Off to Mom and Dad's for dinner afterwards.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.