Out and Ready
09 November 2015
I hadn't received a call from the yard since I sent my form and deposit in last week, so I called them on Saturday to find out if Hukilau was out of the water yet. After a long search in their office, they found my papers and told me that the boat was out and ready to have the engine removed. A little disappointing that they hadn't called me as I had put a note to that effect on the form itself and had even called to follow up on it to make sure they got the message.
Whatever. I went to the marina yesterday (Nov. 8) after tennis and got the engine off. It was really easy as the boat was blocked low. No ladder necessary. I'm leaving the mast up for the first time over the winter. We'll see how well the shrinkwrap holds up.
Had a brief discussion with another yardie while I was there. I told him my plans for winterizing the engine, and he told me that I didn't have to run the engine for 20 minutes because there was no thermostat on my engine; the cooling water goes in directly as there is no radiator. Doink. I should have realized that. Running freshwater through for two minutes is enough to flush out the salt! Made it a lot easier back at home. The engine started on the first pull, and I ran it for a few minutes in a garbage can while it was on the stand. Then off to the garage for the winter. Looks like I need a new zinc (again!); maybe more stray current at B&J than Goodsell.
For the winter: new lifelines; sailcover repairs; new zinc for the outboard; new can of Cetol.
Winter is coming.....