Hukilau Sails the Sound

End of another season

04 October 2016
The time has come again to pull Hukilau out of the water for the winter. Between now and when we leave to go visit Lily in Paris, we will have almost no time for sailing. And it's too dark after work with the sun setting around 6:30. So rather than have to rush to get the boat ready when we get back on Nov. 1, I've decided to pull the trigger early. With Hurricane Matthew approaching, this may turn out to be a good idea in more ways than one.

So on Sunday, Patti and I dropped Dan and Serena off at the train station (they were in for an early Rosh Hashona dinner on Saturday), and then went to the boat to get her ready for the winter. We took the sails off and folded them in the parking lot, removed the battery, gas tank and porta-potti.

I sent a deposit and faxed the winter storage contract to Brewer yesterday, and checked this morning to make sure they got the fax. All is ok. I am storing her with the mast in again. That worked out well, so we'll go with it.

Projects for next year: replace the life lines; install replacement bulb on the starboard bow light; modify the swim ladder; maybe ask the marina to fix the damn steaming light.

Sad, sad, sad. Only 9 outings this year, some of them quite short. I must do better!
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.