Hukilau Sails the Sound

Shakedown Delivery Cruise

23 May 2019
Mike Stern
The big day finally arrived: May 22. Scott and George came to help deliver Hukilau from Bridgeport to Branford. We met at the Laquinta in New Haven, and Patti drove us to Bridgeport. We were scheduled to launch at 11, but things were delayed a bit because there was a strong, north (offshore) breeze that was pushing the water out, keeping the tides low longer.

We were in the water by about 12, and after trouble starting the engine (the batteries weren't charged properly, I was using the glow plugs wrong, etc.), we got a jump start and some instructions from the yard on how to properly start the engine (turn the key all the way to the right and hold it for about 30 seconds to get the glow plugs good and warm, then hold it there while hitting the starter button), the engine came to life easily.

We motored about 50 feet to a dock and tied up (my first time approaching a dock with this boat!). We bent on the sails, and were off to Branford by 1:05 pm. Note: we never turned off the engine, using it to charge first battery one, then battery 2.

We left the channel and turned east with the main up and the genny furled. Magically, the strong northerly winds had diminished considerably. Aside from a stray puff or two, we had little wind. Nevertheless, during one of those puffs, we unfurled the genny and motorsailed east.

A word about autopilots: OMG. How great was that? I set the course and just sat back. We had a round of Patti-made sandwiches and some pineapple cubes, relaxed and talked.

In playing with the GPS, I figured out how to get it to calculate time and distance. At that point, it said we would get to the Branford Town Dock at around 5:30. But the wind backed and picked up, hitting us with a good 10-12 from the southwest. We readjusted the sails, and were soon making over 7 knots SOG, occasionally hitting 8! Our ETA dropped accordingly, soon hitting about 4:45.

It felt great when we spotted the approaches to Branford Harbor, with the familiar ATNs and landmarks. We turned into the wind at the Cow and Calf, furled the main (I think I am going to like the lazy jacks) and the genny, and motored in.

It wasn't hard to find D27 South, and we tied up without incident. We took out the new docklines, gave the boat a quick rinse with a decrepit hose that was there (going into the trash this weekend, I swear), and put things to right aboard.

What a trip! Very satisfying. A few to do's: I have to figure out the reefing lines and the outhaul; they're mixed up right now. I need to put water in the tank. I also need to put those mini-wind vanes up. The Windex is stuck on the port marker.

Looks like a potential Sunday (Memorial Day weekend) trip with Bill and Delores; the start of a great season.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.