Hukilau Sails the Sound

California Dreamin'

24 June 2021
Mike Stern
Jennifer and her boyfriend Mark are visiting from LA this week, and they came up yesterday for a day visit. It was an absolutely beautiful day (mid 70's, sunny, low humidity), and the invite was to go sailing.

Jen and Mark met us at the marina at about 11:30. The breeze was blowing, but it was clearly inconsistent. We decided to give the dock boys something to do, so we requested that they come and help us get off the dock. With their help, we were able to leave the fairway bow first (nice!).

It was actually a little cool under the bimini, and I wore a sweatshirt while steering out. We left the reef in the main and rolled out about 2/3rd's of the genny and sailed off almost directly south. The wind came in and out, and eventually, we unrolled all of the genny, trying to follow the wind. Our course curved to the southwest, making our way fitfully. Patti broke out the fruit and chips, and we had a glorious afternoon, if an inconsistent sail. At one point, the wind did pipe up while Patti was below. We hit 6 knots, and heeled more than 20 degrees, spilling some stuff onto the cabin sole below. Alas, it was a short-lived puff.

The wind went very light as we sailed back, so I fired up the engine and we motorsailed. I eventually just rolled up the genny completely. Of course, as we neared the shore, the breeze picked up. Our docking was uneventful, and we were soon on our way to a late lunch/early dinner at Lenny's.

It was great to see Jen, and nice to finally meet Mark in person.

Next up is Dave on Saturday. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.