Huzzah Cruising the Northwest

09 August 2018
01 August 2018
27 July 2018
25 July 2018 | Gorge Harbour, BC
20 July 2018 | Prideaux Haven
19 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
18 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
17 July 2018 | Squirrel Cove, BC
12 July 2018
09 July 2018
06 July 2018
25 August 2017 | Roscoe Bay
24 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, Desolation Sound
21 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
20 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
22 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
20 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
18 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest

North to La Paz

10 November 2015
After daily monitoring of the marine weather forecasts in Cabo, Gerry, Jody and Ken decided that departing Sunday morning for a 45 mile passage to Bahia Los Frailes would be a perfect first leg for our trip North to La Paz. Los Frailes is the Eastern-most point of land on the Baja peninsula, and offers great shelter in the lee of a ~750' high rocky headland. After motoring through bumpy, leftover seas, we arrived in a wonderfully calm anchorage about 3pm. We had great swimming, awesome views and a comfortable breeze, so no bugs. In fact, we've had no bugs to speak of since Northern California. This anchorage is popular, so we had lots of company from other Ha-Ha boats who trickled in as the day progressed. The benefits of traveling as a fleet was apparent, as a fellow Ha-Ha boat who had lost their engine (dirty filters) did an all-fleet call for assistance on the VHF. We responded by launching our dinghy and pushing them into the bay. No big deal. Our friends Dave & Becky aboard the Catalina 36 "Tranquility" from Port Orchard joined us there as well.
Huzzah anchored in Bahia Los Frailes

The next morning, we decided to pull anchor at 6 am to help our odds of motoring in flat water to our next destination - Bahia De Los Muertos (bay of the dead), a reasonable 46 miles to the North. We made the trip in good time, but only had enough wind to sail for about an hour. With our fishing lines out, sailing slow is a problem as Dorado and Tuna only seem to bite above 6 kts. No fish, but a nice day. We arrived just after noon and immediately went swimming in the 80 degree water. Gerry donned his face mask & snorkel to check the prop and running gear for good measure. Later, we took a trip to the beach to check out the restaurant, suck down a couple of cervezas and experience true low-bandwidth WiFi this area is famous for. Regardless, you can't find nicer people or better views anywhere I've been in this world! Period. Once back aboard Huzzah, we BBQ's a simple meal for dinner. This is FUN!


The final day of our trip was pleasantly anti-climactic. After all the buzz on VHF amongst the fleet, some boats left the anchorage after dark for fear of heavy seas. We pulled anchor at 5 am, and had a perfectly clam motor for the last 58 miles of our journey to La Paz. As we pulled into our winter moorage at Marina Palmira, we were happy to be here, but sad to be in a marina again!
Comments
Vessel Name: Huzzah
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 45.2 built in '99 for the BVI Charter fleet. Purchased in 2011 in Seattle, and began an extensive re-fit.
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, WA
Crew: Gerry & Jody Gilbert
About: Retired professionals living the dream. Gerry & friends do the ocean passages, wife Jody & the kids fly in for the cruising. Departed the PNW for Mexico & So. Pacific September 2015, Returned to Gig Harbor July 2017 .
Extra:
Huzzah \(ˌ)hə-ˈzä\ : an exclamation of joy, applause, appreciation — or shout of acclaim. Huzzah may be categorized with such interjections as hoorah and hooray. According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), in the 17th and 18th centuries it was identified as a sailor's cheer or [...]
Social:
Huzzah's Photos - Main
A pictorial view of our cruising adventures
38 Photos
Created 8 July 2016
Sailing & Projects 2011 thru 2015
19 Photos
Created 29 August 2015