Huzzah Cruising the Northwest

09 August 2018
01 August 2018
27 July 2018
25 July 2018 | Gorge Harbour, BC
20 July 2018 | Prideaux Haven
19 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
18 July 2018 | Desolation Sound
17 July 2018 | Squirrel Cove, BC
12 July 2018
09 July 2018
06 July 2018
25 August 2017 | Roscoe Bay
24 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, Desolation Sound
21 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
20 August 2017 | Tenedos Bay, BC
22 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
20 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest
18 June 2017 | Passage to Pacific Northwest

Life from the other side

28 August 2016
After spending a week on the popular West side of Bora Bora, we decided to try life on the other side for a while. The picture above is the view looking East at the main village of Vaitape, with the formidable Mt. Otemanu (2,385' high) in the background. The "other side" is reported to be void of cruise ships, fast ferries or jet skis, but plentiful in quiet beaches and awesome snorkeling. So we get ourselves psyched up for the trip as it's fairly challenging navigating for vessels with even moderate draft. The course is so shallow, the large yachts that dot the horizon in the main harbor don't even attempt it! And the super yachts - forget it! So, with perfect mid-day sun over our shoulders we're off by 11 am. The trip required us to motor around the top (North) side of the island, through miles of shallow water strewn with rocks and large coral formations (called bommies). Much of the route is through water less than 10' deep, so we motor slowly with Jody doing lookout duty on the bow. And while it took us slightly less than 3 hours to cover the 11 miles, the stress of piloting a sailboat with a nearly 7' draft made it feel like an all-day journey.
After passing multiple large hotels with their fancy over-water bungalows, and fretting over every dark spot (bommie) in the water, we arrived in a gorgeous spot and dropped the anchor in 11' of water. The photo below was taken at sunset from the back (or East side) of the mountain, looking West.

We'll miss the sunsets we enjoyed on the West side, but will find something here to fill the void.
Cheers from Huzzah!
Comments
Vessel Name: Huzzah
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 45.2 built in '99 for the BVI Charter fleet. Purchased in 2011 in Seattle, and began an extensive re-fit.
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, WA
Crew: Gerry & Jody Gilbert
About: Retired professionals living the dream. Gerry & friends do the ocean passages, wife Jody & the kids fly in for the cruising. Departed the PNW for Mexico & So. Pacific September 2015, Returned to Gig Harbor July 2017 .
Extra:
Huzzah \(ˌ)hə-ˈzä\ : an exclamation of joy, applause, appreciation — or shout of acclaim. Huzzah may be categorized with such interjections as hoorah and hooray. According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), in the 17th and 18th centuries it was identified as a sailor's cheer or [...]
Social:
Huzzah's Photos - Main
A pictorial view of our cruising adventures
38 Photos
Created 8 July 2016
Sailing & Projects 2011 thru 2015
19 Photos
Created 29 August 2015