SV ICE BEAR

Vessel Name: ICE BEAR
Vessel Make/Model: Privilege 39
Hailing Port: Victoria Canada
Crew: Don and Cindy
About: From Vancouver Island British Columbia. Retired and enjoying relaxing Cruising.
Extra: we were hard core racers having sailed many many miles and loved the Long distance races with our previous three boats and friends boats but now we are pulling the throttles back. Even though ICE BEAR has a very nice turn of speed.
27 July 2019
12 July 2019 | Nydri marine
30 June 2019
07 May 2019
25 April 2019 | Temple of Zeus, Olympia
11 September 2018
03 August 2018
13 July 2018
27 June 2018 | Nafplio
11 June 2018
01 June 2018
19 May 2018
10 May 2018
06 May 2018
25 April 2018
20 January 2018
06 January 2018
19 December 2017
08 December 2017
Recent Blog Posts
27 July 2019

Paxos / Corfu

The next morning we paid the new Greek cruising tax said goodbye to the guys on Mangata and the lovely town of Preveza. Our next stop was Paxos. The island of Paxos was only a short hop up the Greek coast. It was a great place to wait for good conditions to cross the Adriatic sea to Italy. The harbour [...]

12 July 2019 | Nydri marine

The Bank

With our return to Vliho bay the weather cooled back down and the rain returned we spent the next few days doing more boat jobs.Found the rattle in the steering system there was wear in the linear drive and to fix it we needed new parts sigh one more job for Tunisia. Replaced the fresh water pump, fixed [...]

30 June 2019

The Aussie

We motored to the stern of Mangata and knocked. From inside we heard a hello woohoo he was home well we kinda knew he was home the dinghy was tied to the stern. We climbed aboard and went below for a quick tour and drink. I always forget how much room is inside a Bavaria. There must be at least [...]

07 May 2019

The next ten days were spent in the boat yard. Unlike last year there was no red dirt but it was cold and wet.Fortunately we had a heater and electricity. When it rained we went to the stores for parts and food when it dried for a few minutes we painted the bottoms, serviced the engines, repaired [...]

25 April 2019 | Temple of Zeus, Olympia

Adventure 2019 begins

The 2019 travel season started on April 2nd with a ferry ride to Vancouver where wonderful friends put us up for the night before the flight to Greece. Thank you so much. The flight was just the way we like flights uneventful. Once we passed through customs and satisfied the man at the exit that the [...]

24 April 2019

Wrap up of 2018 sailing season

When we left our intrepid traveler Emmet he was in Poros waiting for a weather system to pass. While waiting food was consumed and roads were walked. One of the boats near us had its anchor lifted and ended up side tied to the quay which wasn’t a great place to be. The surge from the storm and other [...]

trip to Rhodes

03 August 2018
Woohoo we have made it to the farthest point east we will visit while traveling in a easterly direction from this point forward everywhere we visit we will need to travel west.
Despite the Meltimis past, present and future we made it to the Dodeconese islands and finally Rhodes. The amount of second guessing and alternate plans that were thought up while waiting out on the island of Leros. Which is the inspiration to the book and eventual movie The Guns of Navarone. were all for not as the winds subsided and weather windows opened for hop to the Islands of Kos and Simi and the eventual dash to Rhodes or Rodos as the locals say. Rhodes was important to get to for several reasons one its Rhodes and who doesn't want to see where the Colossus of Rhodes once stood or the fortress where the knights all stopped and regrouped before the big push to the Holy land. Second we were meeting our first visitor of the year and who wants to have a visitor arrive by plane and not be at least on the island they land. When we started in April this year we knew we were going to Rhodes we had given ourselves 4 month to get there easy peasy.
We even mused about finding enough stuff to do. which really isn't a real problem there's years of stuff to do here. Since the end of June we have traveled to Milos a rock hounds heaven. There was obsidian, sulfur, petrified ash, perlite and more. Ios where people go to party then to a quiet anchorage off the island of Amorgos where a yacht captain that anchored way to close apologized by bringing over a very delicious spiced walnut cake smothered in honey. Wow do Greeks know how to make stuff with honey. From here we pushed to the Dodecanese islands arriving at the island of Leros. Lakki bay is big. I can see why the Italians under Mussolini occupied it in 1912 until 1943 when the Germans after a hard fought multi day battle took it from the Allies which Italy had surrendered to earlier in the year. Mussolini had the town of Lakki made in an Italian style with square corners on buildings and wide streets the locals said the longest straight stretch of road on the whole island was the road in front of the town quay which explained why every evening people in their cars, bikes and scooters would drive to the far end and race back towards the town revving engines and doing wheelies . The Meltimi kept us in Lakki on Leros for a week. Lakki is not a tourist town the slower pace suited us fine every morning a man rode his donkey past the boat into town and then in the evening he rode it back to where ever he came from. A couple evenings we could hear a marching band practice and at the conclusion of the final game of the world cup soccer tournament they did a quick march down the straight stretch of road. Maybe it was just a coincidence I don't know. We checked out one of the islands war museums this one in a portion of a underground bunker.
There was a man that wanted nothing more then to tell stories and talk about the things in the displays. I bet if we spoke greek we could have spent all day there listening to him
When the winds calmed down we went to the island of Kos. Last summer there was 7.1 earthquake here and the damage was still quite visible the quay was heaved and buckled down the whole length there was a big crack going up the fortress wall along the same line as the heave in the quay several buildings in town still bore scars as well. It didn't seem to slow the town down though there were people everywhere Kos town seemed to get off to a very slow start in the morning however once night fell the clubs started up and didn't stop till the sun started to peek over the hills. Kos is also home to Hippocrates tree under which Hippocrates taught medicine. Seedlings and cuttings from the tree have been sent all over the world. After the boom boom of Kos we sailed into a very quiet harbour on the island of Simi with one restaurant and The Monastery of the Archangel Michael Panormitis to do a quick mental refresh then finally Rhodes with most of a day to spare to do laundry and prepare for our guest.
Comments
ICE BEAR's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 24 April 2019
46 Photos
Created 25 April 2018