Iceman Cruising

Vessel Name: Iceman46
Vessel Make/Model: Sea Ray Sundancer 400
Hailing Port: Ecarte Marime , Port Lambton , Ontario, Canada
Crew: Wayne Franklin and Lori Tratnjek
About: yearly cruising of between 1000 & 2000 kt miles thru Lakes Huron & Georgian Bay and/or Lake Erie and/or the Eire Canal , Hudson River , Lake Champlain, St. Lawrence River , Ottawa River, Rideau , and/or Trent-Severn Canal systems
07 January 2021
26 December 2020
26 December 2020
19 December 2020
15 December 2020
15 December 2020
13 December 2020
13 December 2020
11 December 2020
01 October 2019
11 September 2019
10 September 2019
04 September 2019
02 September 2019
Recent Blog Posts
07 January 2021

October 21st & forward

I returned to the boat on the October 21st and with Gerald's help the batteries were removed and I cleaned under the battery cases and applied a layer of gel coat. I also looked for a way to run power from the new to be installed inverter to the power panel in the boat cabin. It took quite a while but [...]

31 December 2020

September 14th to September 21st

We left at sunrise for Kincardine and had good seas and were able to cut straight south instead of following the shore line for protection as we had done last year. We visited with Rick and Cheryl and left before sun up in order to miss an early afternoon wind direction change that never happened !! You've got to love weather forecasts !! We were in Sarnia before noon and stayed for a week. I rented a car and we drove to Ingersoll for Lori's car and visited friends a bit before heading to Ecarte Marine for winter storage.

29 December 2020

August 27th to September 13th

We got an early start crossing Rice Lake and up the Otonabee River to Peterborough by 1pm. We plan to stay a week as we enjoyed our stay before and were always on the move. Shopping , walking , dinghy rides and of course wings at Riley's on Tuesday night. The local boaters were always on the dock in [...]

26 December 2020

August 23 to August 27th

On the 23rd we headed for Napanee for a couple of nights and hoped to see boaters we met last year. Not much going on here , few boats and the town was not busy . We walked a bit both days.

26 December 2020

August 19th to August 22nd

We up early and left for Kingston Mills Locks in order to arrive for the first lock . We had to wait about an hour and then locked down through the 4 locks and into Lake Ontario basin at Kingston and we headed for Picton arriving at 2pm and Marianne picked us up and took us to their place. We were there [...]

September 5th - Sept 10th

11 September 2019
Wayne Franklin
Hi ,
We were up early and had a leisurely breakfast as the next lock doesn't open until 10am and we only have 2 ktm to get there . We left Fenlon Falls at 9:20am and arrived at Rosedale lock , tied up and talked to a houseboater while Lori took pictures and the locked through . This is quiet area in the middle of nowhere , great for campers . We were then off to Kirkfield lock through miles of narrow , straight channels , down the lift lock 45 ft and on our way to Canal Lake and the round bridge which Lori really likes and takes pictures every year !! We locked through Bolsover and Talbot locks and stayed at the top of Portage lock for the night . After we were tied up and plugged into the lock house 15 amp power for the night . We walked to the next lock to see who it looked now as they were redoing it last year - all completed - and back before supper and movies .
In the morning we were ready for the first locking and through 2 more locks and a swing bridge and we were out on Lake Simcoe on a cool , cloudy and sometimes rainy day toward Port of Orillia for a 3 night stay . We arrived at 12:35pm . We had lunch and walked up town ending up at Lori's favorite Liquidation world where she bought some things for Florida and to Metro for milk and a fruit tray and back to the boat . Not many boats in the marina .
On the 7th Lori did laundry and I washed the boat and cleaned inside . We walked up to the Liquidation store - Lori spent an hour or so while I looked at movies and found 9 which I traded for 18 I don't watch any more - happy . We then went to shoppers and back to the boat . I talked to some boaters - 1 from Michigan and 1 from near Orillia . We had supper and the went for a walk in the park area near the Marina and checked out an over 100 year old chip stand which is still in the same family - pictures on the side of the building . It has been raining off and on all day .
I was up early and decided that we should leave today even though we have a free nights stay as the weather is better in Georgian Bay if we can get there today . When Lori got up I told that I thought we should leave even though she doesn't like surprises . She said ok and headed for the Metro and to return the marina card and get the $10 deposit back . No one was there but some boaters said to just slide it on the desk and call later . We were on our way by 9:20am and were at the first lock by just after 1oam and on our way to lock 43 , Big Chute and lock 45 and Georgian Bay and fuel and Midland Harbour . We tied up for the night and met a few people before turning in for an early start in the morning .
On the 9th we ready to leave as the fog lifted at 7:25am heading for Lion's Head through the gap east of Christian Island annd ran about 280 degrees across the bay ending up at Lion's Head . We tied up and walked up town for lunch and a look around . We asked a guy in a car which way was up town and he said your there !! We had lunch and walk and returned to the boat - not much going on !!
We cleaned and I check the batteries and the motors , watched a movie and had supper and an after dinner walk . I was watching the weather and we looked good in the morning early .
We were up and left as soon as we could see and about 20 minutes later we hear a high wind warning on the radio - yup , I had listened to the radio and there was no weather report on any channel . It turned out not bad as we only encountered 4 to 5 footers with the odd 6 footer as a mostly following sea . Within an hour we were around Cabot Head on our way to Tobermory . We arrived at 8:45am , waited in the rain before fueling up and then tied up at the end of the long dock in Little Tub . It rained off and on during the day . We did get a walk in for exercise and a look around . Movies after supper .
Comments

About & Links