Ignorance and Bliss

06 March 2014 | Spanish Wells
06 March 2014 | Eleuthera
03 March 2014 | Meeks Patch / Spanish Wells
03 March 2014 | Great Harbor
03 March 2014 | Great Harbor
26 February 2014 | Berry Islands
26 February 2014 | Berry Islands
26 February 2014 | Leaving Mackey Shoal
26 February 2014 | Bimini
24 February 2014 | Bahamas
23 February 2014 | Bimini
22 February 2014 | Gulf Stream
22 February 2014 | Hawks Channel
22 February 2014 | Florida to Bahamas
12 February 2014 | Marathon Fl
12 February 2014 | Marathon
12 February 2014 | Marathon, Boot Key
11 February 2014 | Boot Key
07 February 2014 | At sea

Sharks & Lionfish

12 February 2014 | Marathon Fl
First Mate
Lion Fish - Kill ‘em!
Sharks – Save them now, please!
Marathon holds many things to do as it is both a cruising community and a real town. Both are concerned about the water and the creatures it holds. One night a conservancy group held a gathering to watch two films for discussion. The first film was about shark conservancy & Soup – the number of sharks being killed for their fins for the Asian market is horrendous. Seeing piles & piles of fins for sale is sickening. Sharks are being overfished and their populations are dwindling fast. They are not the enemy, but a valuable part of the eco-system. China has begun a PSA for television o show how stupid, selfish and deadly their love of Shark Fin Soup truly is. It asks Chinese to pledge to avoid making and ordering the killer Soup. I hope it has an effect on them before it’s too late.
The second film and discussion was on Lionfish, which is a situation just the opposite of shark. We want Lionfish dead. We want you to hunt, spear, and order them if you see lionfish on restaurant menus. Lionfish are from the south pacific and they are beautiful. So beautiful many people order them for their fish tank. Many stupid people get rid of the lion fish in their tanks by dumping them into the ocean. Lionfish have made their way to Florida and the Caribbean in a big way. Here’s the rub – the Lionfish eat fish, lots of fish. Fish who clean the reefs of algae; the algae overpopulation is smothering and killing our reefs. The result of lionfish overpopulation is no fish/no reef. The reefs are vital to all of us, not just snorkelers and divers! So go ahead and order that Lionfish fritter or filet – it’s good for your world!
Comments
Vessel Name: Bliss
Vessel Make/Model: Manta
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Crew: Captain Crabby & First Mate
Extra: Strive to find before you die from what you run, and to, and why.

Who: Captain Crabby & First Mate
Port: Milwaukee, Wisconsin