Impulse Cruising Again

Vessel Name: Impulse
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 350
Hailing Port: Langhorne PA
Crew: Bill & Mary
10 August 2023 | Oswego, NY
09 August 2023
02 August 2023 | Valdosta, Georgia
02 August 2021 | Punta Gorda, FL
31 July 2021 | Slidell, Louisiana
30 July 2021 | Eunice, Louisiana
29 July 2021 | San Antonio, TX
28 July 2021 | San Angelo, Texas
27 July 2021 | Santa Fe, New Mexico
26 July 2021 | Albuquerque, NM
25 July 2021 | Flagstaff, AZ
24 July 2021 | Tropic, Utah
23 July 2021 | Saint George, Utah
22 July 2021 | Saint George, Utah
21 July 2021 | Las Vegas, NV
19 July 2021 | Bakersfield, CA
17 July 2021 | Hermosa Beach, CA
16 July 2021 | San Diego, CA
Recent Blog Posts
16 August 2023

Heading for Philly after a few stops...

Sunday, August 13

12 August 2023

Time in the foothills of the Adirondacks

Friday, Aug 11

10 August 2023 | Oswego, NY

Finally catching up

Tuesday, Aug 8

09 August 2023

One post, many days

So I haven't posted any news in a long time - here is some catch up material. I'll post the rest tomorrow...

02 August 2023 | Valdosta, Georgia

Another Road Trip! Going North...

We are on the road and here is the story.

02 August 2021 | Punta Gorda, FL

Our Last Night on the Road!

Not much to report for yesterday - Bill drove and drove and drove. We left Slidell, Louisiana and stopped for the night in Lake City, FL. I had wanted to stop at Florida Caverns State Park but the tickets for the tour of the caverns are first come, first served and as we neared I called and we [...]

Exploring Bald Head Island

15 May 2017 | Bald Head Island, NC
86 degrees, breezy, partly cloudy
Once we got used to the rocking, the swells entering the harbor here "rocked the cradle" and we slept like babies. Well-rested, we had breakfast and then defrosted the freezer and vacuumed the boat. Showers for both of us and then we rented a golf cart and headed off with a map of the island (we watched golfer Greg Norman leave just ahead of us in another cart!). A number of ecosystems are represented on this island including maritime forest, salt marsh, coastal dunes and beach, and others. This is the northernmost area in the US where sabal palms can be grown. What a beautiful ride! On the opposite end of the island we stopped at East Beach and walked along the sand (see photo of me collecting shells). The curve in the beach shows where the Frying Pan Shoals start that actually go out over 20 miles. We stopped at the Bald Head Island Conservancy - disappointing as far as educational displays go, but the gift shop has an amazing inventory, albeit over-priced. We learned that this island's name changed to Bald Head from Smith Island because from the ocean (and even from the air ) it looked like a bald man's head. Hmmm. We could see the water breaking over the shoals for a long distance as we rode along Beach Road. We were surprised at the number of houses along the beach - I thought the government was attempting to curb building along coastlines but I guess this isn't the case since we saw lots of new construction - and the houses are big! Who pays their flood insurance? No hurricane-proof windows or shutters here either! We had lunch at the Pelicatessen at the Bald Head Island Club - open to members only but I guess in off-season they are willing to have us commoners spend money there! The food was very good. Eventually we found our way back to the boat and Bill took a nap. We made a grocery run (only three items) and returned the golf cart. Wine time and then pasta and meatballs for dinner on the boat, then out to watch the sunset on the beach. We packed a lot into today! Tomorrow we move on to Topsail Island!
Comments

About & Links