Impulse Cruising Again

Vessel Name: Impulse
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 350
Hailing Port: Langhorne PA
Crew: Bill & Mary
10 August 2023 | Oswego, NY
09 August 2023
02 August 2023 | Valdosta, Georgia
02 August 2021 | Punta Gorda, FL
31 July 2021 | Slidell, Louisiana
30 July 2021 | Eunice, Louisiana
29 July 2021 | San Antonio, TX
28 July 2021 | San Angelo, Texas
27 July 2021 | Santa Fe, New Mexico
26 July 2021 | Albuquerque, NM
25 July 2021 | Flagstaff, AZ
24 July 2021 | Tropic, Utah
23 July 2021 | Saint George, Utah
22 July 2021 | Saint George, Utah
21 July 2021 | Las Vegas, NV
19 July 2021 | Bakersfield, CA
17 July 2021 | Hermosa Beach, CA
16 July 2021 | San Diego, CA
Recent Blog Posts
16 August 2023

Heading for Philly after a few stops...

Sunday, August 13

12 August 2023

Time in the foothills of the Adirondacks

Friday, Aug 11

10 August 2023 | Oswego, NY

Finally catching up

Tuesday, Aug 8

09 August 2023

One post, many days

So I haven't posted any news in a long time - here is some catch up material. I'll post the rest tomorrow...

02 August 2023 | Valdosta, Georgia

Another Road Trip! Going North...

We are on the road and here is the story.

02 August 2021 | Punta Gorda, FL

Our Last Night on the Road!

Not much to report for yesterday - Bill drove and drove and drove. We left Slidell, Louisiana and stopped for the night in Lake City, FL. I had wanted to stop at Florida Caverns State Park but the tickets for the tour of the caverns are first come, first served and as we neared I called and we [...]

Double Entry - Oops...

12 June 2018 | Mt. Vernon, VA
Monday was cold( low 60s), damp, cloudy, then very nice on Tuesday!!
Monday, June 11 - 9 hours, 59 miles
Two days' worth since I missed posting one...
This morning was miserable - rainy, cold, and windy - as we left the dock at 6:45 am. We slogged up the river against the tide and wind for several hours, and then started to see the debris in the water that we had heard about. Bill pointed out that we passed Pope's Creek, which is where John Wilkes Booth jumped into a boat he had previously hidden to cross the Potomac River after assassinating Lincoln. We also passed Quantico later in the day, after the wind had backed down and the tide had turned in our direction. Debris fields were numerous, so we both watched most of the day for logs, branches, and an occasional tire floating by. This was pretty difficult since it rained several times and "sprizzled" (Bill's word) the rest of the day. We saw the Diva Di pass by on their way down the Potomac. They are friends of ours from the PGIslanders Cruising Club at home in Punta Gorda who are headed for Maine. They did the Great Loop and the Maritime Loop during the past two years. We were supposed to meet them yesterday but didn't because of our change in plans, but we did visit a bit on the VHF. The flotsam decreased as we approached our anchorage, and we dropped the anchor at 3:45 pm at the base of the hill on which Mt. Vernon sits (see photo taken from the bow). We heated up some chili we had frozen and had that with tostitos, cheese, and scallions. Delicious - it warmed us and the cabin. Long pajamas tonight!
Tuesday, June 12 - 11 miles, 1.5 hrs
Last night was the quietest and calmest night we have ever spent on the hook. We could have been on land! I woke up several times because we weren't moving, actually. After our oatmeal we pulled the anchor and headed for the Wharf at Mt. Vernon. After tying up we headed up the hill towards the mansion. There were lots of high school age kids there from many states - Oklahoma, Tennessee, Michigan, and more. (By noon they had all left for other destinations.) We visited many outbuildings and then went on the Garden Tour that we signed up for online. The guide was very informative, especially about George Washington and Mt. Vernon. We walked around and saw how GW changed the layout of the gardens and buildings. After that tour we had to wait for our assigned time for the mansion tour. Only then were we allowed to get in line and wait some more. This tour was disappointing - it was like a cattle call - we were herded from room to room and docents recited from scripts as we were hurried through the rooms. 20 minutes later we walked to the education/visitor center for lunch at the food court and a walk around the museum. The shuttle took us down the hill to Pioneer Farm to see the 16-sided treading barn, and then walked to the wharf. We cast off the lines and headed for Alexandria which is only 11 miles away. We docked in Old City and watched the Wednesday Beer Can Races in the River, then rode the trolley up King Street, ate dinner at a Lebanese restaurant (delicious!), and headed back for bedtime. I think we will stay here another night so we can explore museums, etc.

Comments

About & Links