Inglescatte Sailing Adventures

28 July 2016 | Porto Khleli
26 July 2016 | Fokianos Bay
23 July 2016 | Monemvasia
22 July 2016 | Elafonisos
21 July 2016 | Lakonikos Kolpos
20 July 2016 | Githion
20 July 2016 | Githion
19 July 2016 | Πόρτο Κάγιο
19 July 2016 | Ak Tainaron
19 July 2016 | Capo Grasso, southern end of Mani peninsula
19 July 2016 | Southern Pelloponese
18 July 2016 | Messene
17 July 2016 | Ancient Messene and Kalamata
16 July 2016 | Kalamata
15 July 2016 | Kalamata
14 July 2016 | Methoni
14 July 2016 | Methoni
13 July 2016 | Methoni
13 July 2016 | Nisos Proti, Southern Ionian
13 July 2016 | Southern Ionian

Shore day

16 July 2016 | Kalamata
Pepper Crew
After a fruitless search for a bakery on waking (the marina here is in a rather industrial part of town) we had a bakery-free breakfast and wandered in to Kalamata.
There is a park linking the coast with the central part of town, which we walked through, and it houses an open-air railway museum - basically old trains and carriages just left on the tracks of the disused railway, next to the old station. There were also three different children's playgrounds, and the kids tested all of them.
Once up in town we found the old quarter (sadly much of the town was destroyed and re-built after the 1986 earthquake).
We found a lovely old Orthodox Church, and wandered around the archeological museum.
In the afternoon as the heat set in we found a roof top terrace bar and pool at a local hotel (Elektra) and Joshua and Izzy practised their lengths. Izzy's swimming has improved massively since we came out here - we were amazed to see her swimming really good crawl and she managed 30 lengths to earn two boat stars!
Next door we found the children's new favourite shop - "Jumbo" - which seems to be a combination of IKEA, home base and Toys R Us all rolled in to one. Very useful though as we stocked up on essentials, and the children negotiated the purchase of two very large water squirting guns! We stocked up on jubilee clips, since we used up our last spare after a hot water tank incident on arriving here on Friday. A useful boat learning point, the key question being "what is the first thing you do when you open the bilges and find an alarmingly large amount of water in them" - answer - taste it - in this case the water was non-salty and hot, and after investigation we found a pipe that had detached itself from the hot water system and flooded the boat with around 200 litres of got fresh water! It was a good excuse to try out the bilge pump, and luckily we have free water at the pontoon here.
Back at the boat we chatted to our starboard side neighbours who it transpires are not only Brits but also on a similar 3 month trip to our own with their children. We exchanged tips on encouraging Boat School!
Isabelle and Joshua then helped Daddy to try and find the latest leak in the dinghy. We were delighted that the last two patch repairs were holding nicely, but an initial search failed to find the latest leak!
Comments
Vessel Name: Pepper
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Crew: Anne, Jonathan, Joshua and Isabelle
Extra:
This is the blog of our journey on Pepper, as we sail in the wake of Odysseus and his mates. It’s been a long time planning, with the voyage first thought of in the Summer of 2004 as we (Anne and Jonathan) sat on deck in the Grenadines, hearing the tales of liveaboard crews, and deciding one day [...]
Pepper's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 11 June 2016