The Great Escape

13 April 2010
12 April 2010
11 April 2010 | Antigua to The Saints
10 April 2010 | Fallmouth Harbour, Antigua
09 April 2010 | Fallmouth Harbour, Antigua
08 April 2010 | Antigua
07 April 2010 | St. Bart's
06 April 2010 | Gustavia Bay
04 April 2010 | St Maarten (Dutch side)
03 April 2010 | Marigot Bay, St. Martin
02 April 2010 | AnPassage
31 March 2010 | Sir Francis Drake Channel
30 March 2010 | BVI's
25 March 2010 | Warm!

Have I mentioned the Captain is a stud!

11 April 2010 | Antigua to The Saints
Brenda
No rooster needed, we are up with the sun, coffee going, hatches closed, main sail raised and we are heading out to sea.

Within minutes of exiting the harbor Kyle has us sailing with the main (2 reefs in) and the genoa. Winds are as predicted, 15 to 20 knots and straight out of the east. The seas are more than manageable at 4 to 6 feet. We have a steady roll as we are sailing south to Guadeloupe, all the elements favorable and Captain has us sailing between 7 & 8 knots..... nice.

I made us some breakfast, egg sandwiches, all the while thankful for my handles on the stove top to hold the skillet in place & I start a new book (lov'n my new Kindle) .... I know, the life of a First Mate :)

We reach Guadeloupe in 51/2 hours, we've made great time, and now with calmer seas 2 to 4 feet the winds very from 15 to 20 and throwing in a few burst of up to 30+ knots, my handsome Captain sure isn't getting bored today!!

So, things can sure change on the leeward side of the island, our winds by mid-way down the island are down to a low at one time of 2.2 knots, the mountainous peaks of Guadeloupe have given us gusts and they have blocked he wind all together.. yip, the Captain's on it... motors back on and we continue our track.

2/3rd's the way down the island just before Basse -Terre we see what remains of 'Spice', a beautifully built Catamaran that Kyle and I have liked since we first saw it in Trinidad last year. On our way up the chain and our pass by Guadeloupe in February we passed by Spice only an hour or so after one of her dagger boards hit ground and she wrecked close to shore. We can see they salvaged what they could, but we are both bummed for the short life of such a beautiful 'Cat".

Rounding the SW tip Guadeloupe and now The Saints (a burst of a few smaller islands, that have high peaks, beautiful beaches & welcoming bays. (These islands also fall under the French flag along with Guadeloupe.)) are now in sight, resting about 6 miles southwest of Guadeloupe.

The Captain is back to both hands on wheel as the winds have again picked up to 20 plus knots and we are screaming at just under 9 knot... woo hoo!! At one point the winds and bash of the waves flip the dinghy over that is tied down on the trampoline. Kyle grabs another rope and secures the dinghy and we blast across the channel to anchorage at Terre D'en Haut. We drop the sails and motor in to the small bay and have a turtle sighting, always a good sign for us so we set the hook in 20' of water just off of the Le Boise Joli Hotel and a 100 yards from the beautiful cliffs.

Hot showers, gin & tonics wonderful grilled fillets and tonights movie is Easy Rider which we only make it about half way through before it is lights out.

Sometime during the middle of the night we had a big rain shower, so up we go, close the hatches and back to sleep to dream of a clean boat when we wake up in the morning!



Comments
Vessel Name: In the Wind
Vessel Make/Model: Robertson & Caine Leopard 40
Hailing Port: Walla Walla, WA
Crew: Kyle
About:
It all started many years ago, the freedom of being In the Wind, whether on a Harley, flying a plane or sailing the great blue seas. So my friends, here is the story of Kyle travels In the Wind. [...]

Who: Kyle
Port: Walla Walla, WA