Cruising on Iolanthe

The sailing adventures of Craig, Josephine and Sophie.

17 November 2013
11 November 2011 | Home
03 November 2011 | Coffs Harbour
26 October 2011 | Mooloolaba
23 October 2011 | Great Sandy Straits
22 October 2011 | Port Bundaberg
19 October 2011
13 October 2011 | Mackay to Kepppel Bay
05 October 2011 | Whitsundays
27 September 2011 | The Cumberland Islands
17 September 2011 | Digby Island
16 September 2011 | Middle Percy Island
14 September 2011 | Pearl Bay
12 September 2011 | Great Keppel Island
06 September 2011 | Pancake Creek
03 September 2011 | Kingfisher Bay
27 August 2011 | Southport
20 August 2011 | Coffs Harbour
30 July 2011 | RPAYC, Newport

Stuck in Coffs Harbour!

20 August 2011 | Coffs Harbour
Craig
We left Sydney early last friday morning in the dark for Port Stephens in fairly lively conditions. After a couple of hours of being thrown about like a washing machine and after the third of fourth wave to completely drown the cockpit and its inhabitants, we promptly turned around and went back into Broken Bay and spent the night in the Basin. Our Journey north had begun, we had only made it three miles but slow and steady wins the race!

The next morning, refreshed and more prepared with calmer seas we again set off for Port Stephens getting into Nelson Bay about 3pm. With a day off the next day to refuel and have a wander around Nelson Bay, we then left for Coffs Harbour Monday morning. Sophie seemed to quite enjoy her first overnight passage, plenty of dolphins and a whale kept us company, as we fought with the EAC dude! It is at it's strongest at this point on the coast, and despite the Boat flying along at a 7.5 knots we were only making 4 knots speed over the ground.

We have safely arrived in Coffs Harbour, but look to be be stuck here until probably Thursday with big seas and strong winds for the next few days. We were going to head for the small town of Yamba next, but with the delay here and time getting away from us we will probably do another overnighter into Southport on the Gold Coast.

Click HERE to see exactly where we are
Comments
Vessel Name: Iolanthe
Vessel Make/Model: Martzcraft 35
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Craig, Josephine and Sophie
About: Sophie our 6 month old daughter is very much the admiral on this expedition. Along for the ride are Craig and Jo are who are basically there to keep the boat floating and heading towards the sun and to make sure madam is never wanting for toys or mashed banana.

Who: Craig, Josephine and Sophie
Port: Sydney, Australia