Cruising on Iolanthe

The sailing adventures of Craig, Josephine and Sophie.

17 November 2013
11 November 2011 | Home
03 November 2011 | Coffs Harbour
26 October 2011 | Mooloolaba
23 October 2011 | Great Sandy Straits
22 October 2011 | Port Bundaberg
19 October 2011
13 October 2011 | Mackay to Kepppel Bay
05 October 2011 | Whitsundays
27 September 2011 | The Cumberland Islands
17 September 2011 | Digby Island
16 September 2011 | Middle Percy Island
14 September 2011 | Pearl Bay
12 September 2011 | Great Keppel Island
06 September 2011 | Pancake Creek
03 September 2011 | Kingfisher Bay
27 August 2011 | Southport
20 August 2011 | Coffs Harbour
30 July 2011 | RPAYC, Newport

Whirlwind Whitsunday Wayfare

05 October 2011 | Whitsundays
Jo and Craig
"Ummm Hi, excuse me I was just wondering if I could get some change for the laundry????"

"The blinds are down that means we are closed" snapped the Marina office lady barely looking over the the top of the desk as I entered the office.
"but umm I thought you guys are open to 5, and umm it's four fourty....."
"Well I've counted the money so I can't help you, besides the laundry isn't our problem" she barked back in front of the "Welcome to the Whitsundays" sign with the look of someone who was well tired of boats, boaties and their endless thirst for 1$ coins.
We had arrived in a tourist town. Gone was the small town Queensland friendliness that had shaped our last month and instead there were backpackers, charter boats, more backpackers and the long suffering locals of Airlie who after 2 cyclones, the GFC and now at the end of the current season had a right to perhaps feel a little miffed.

After a 30 hour delay due to the late arrival of our guests due to bad weather and airlines we were off on our whirlwind Whitsunday's tour.







First stop was Whitehaven Beach with it's world famous white sand, which is on the eastern side of Whitsunday Island. The weather was lovely, very little wind and swell and a great afternoon was had by all swimming and lounging on the beach followed by an italian style lunch (ciabatta, pesto, bocconcini, prosciutto, and tomatoes) aboard Iolanthe.







We then tucked ourselves into Tongue bay, a little to the north for the night, to what was turning out to be a lovely peaceful anchorage, until a large boat full of party goers turned up and "entertained" the anchorage until the wee hours.



Day Two, we sailed north around the top end of hook island to try some snorkeling in Butterfly Bay, however it wasn't meant to be, as all the moorings were taken and a charter boat had anchored itself in fairly deep water in the middle of any potential anchoring area and after 3 anchoring attempts with no success, the anchoring committee was revolting and so we continued around Hook Island to Stonehaven where we snavelled the last mooring buoy there and Warwick, Alix and Craig did some snorkelling, which wasn't too bad, although no brilliant coral or fish were seen.



Early the next morning we moved the boat across to Langford Island to the sand spit where there was another attempt at some snorkelling. We then sailed back across the Whitsunday Passage to Abel Point marina in time for airport transfers the next morning.



With the guests safely on the bus to the airport we made final preparations for the start of our trip south.

We headed to Shaw Island for the night, which turned out to be a windier and more uncomfortable night that our previous nights at there. Next morning we up-ed anchor and headed for Mackay.



It was our first passage where we were close hauled and look at our adaptable baby!



Comments
Vessel Name: Iolanthe
Vessel Make/Model: Martzcraft 35
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Craig, Josephine and Sophie
About: Sophie our 6 month old daughter is very much the admiral on this expedition. Along for the ride are Craig and Jo are who are basically there to keep the boat floating and heading towards the sun and to make sure madam is never wanting for toys or mashed banana.

Who: Craig, Josephine and Sophie
Port: Sydney, Australia