Cruising on Iolanthe

The sailing adventures of Craig, Josephine and Sophie.

17 November 2013
11 November 2011 | Home
03 November 2011 | Coffs Harbour
26 October 2011 | Mooloolaba
23 October 2011 | Great Sandy Straits
22 October 2011 | Port Bundaberg
19 October 2011
13 October 2011 | Mackay to Kepppel Bay
05 October 2011 | Whitsundays
27 September 2011 | The Cumberland Islands
17 September 2011 | Digby Island
16 September 2011 | Middle Percy Island
14 September 2011 | Pearl Bay
12 September 2011 | Great Keppel Island
06 September 2011 | Pancake Creek
03 September 2011 | Kingfisher Bay
27 August 2011 | Southport
20 August 2011 | Coffs Harbour
30 July 2011 | RPAYC, Newport

The sign is up!

13 October 2011 | Mackay to Kepppel Bay
Jo


We left Mackay the day after the northerlies came through, and didn't we know when they arrived, Mackay Marina became a very rolly uncomfortable "anchorage" for the night.

We first headed for Digby Island as it appeared to have the best protection from a northerly compared to Curlew Island. We caught our second fish on the way, another spotted mackerel this one was much bigger - easily 85cm. After having fish tacos for dinner, we made the best of a bit of a wild night at anchor, but managed to get a little sleep, but left early the next morning for the Percy Islands where it would hopefully be more comfortable.



We anchored for the night in White's Bay on the southern side of Middle Percy Island with a little excitement as the anchor windlass gave up the ghost for no apparent reason, having worked solidly for the whole trip. We quickly let the anchor free fall and put out as much chain as we had. The winds were strong and we pulled back on the anchor chain all night, but we held securely.

Next morning we wanted to go around to West Bay as the winds during the day were turning southerly and for the evening there would be light north easterly winds. We attempted to up anchor, however the anchor windless was still not working, even after some tinkering in the battery bay the evening before after which we thought that we had fixed the problem. So we began the "fun" task of hauling in 55 metres of anchor chain by hand. We got around to West Bay and had the place to ourselves, we found a nice patch of water and anchored in as close to the beach as we could... maybe a little too close for comfort, as we discovered just before low tide when Craig went swimming about 3 or 4 metres off the back of the boat towards the beach and discovered that he could stand! However after a quick calculation we realised that we would have just enough water under the keel at the slightly lower low tide that was to happen early the next morning. We went ashore to hang the sign that we had made for the A-Frame hut and met up with the crew from another boat who had also been at Digby Island and White's Bay in the last few days.



We spent the night in West Bay before setting off the next morning for Delcomyn Bay, well a bay near Delcomyn Island that hasn't been surveyed fully yet, the anchor windlass behaving much better after we fixed it's battery terminals.


It was a fairly uneventful trip where we experienced that strange VHF phenomenon of skipping where we could hear the charter boat radio scheds in the Whitsundays (150nm to the north) and boats contacting Bundaberg VMR (200nm to the south) when VHF radio is usually line of sight communication only. The charter yacht radio scheds kept us entertained for a while, with all the funny questions from the charterers to the charter bases. We arrived at Delcomyn bay (a lovely protected anchorage in a northerly wind) just in time for a storm to arrive, along with rain and squally winds, turning the breeze southerly for most of the evening, but with lots of anchor chain out we slept soundly.



The next day we were off again, this time to Rosslyn Bay. We spent a few days in there doing the usual restock etc... before we were off again!
Comments
Vessel Name: Iolanthe
Vessel Make/Model: Martzcraft 35
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Craig, Josephine and Sophie
About: Sophie our 6 month old daughter is very much the admiral on this expedition. Along for the ride are Craig and Jo are who are basically there to keep the boat floating and heading towards the sun and to make sure madam is never wanting for toys or mashed banana.

Who: Craig, Josephine and Sophie
Port: Sydney, Australia