IOLEA 2019

We are an Australian couple who have been cruising on our Hylas 49 since 2010. We are currently in Alaska having sailed from NZ via French Polynesia and Hawaii last year.

12 July 2020
04 October 2019
17 September 2019
08 September 2019
27 August 2019
15 August 2019
29 July 2019 | Prince William Sound: Snug Harbor
19 July 2019
17 July 2019
16 July 2019 | Aialik Bay, Kenai Peninsular
14 July 2019 | Northwestern Glacier
13 July 2019 | Kenai Penninsular
12 July 2019 | Pilot Harbor, Kenai Peninsular
11 July 2019 | Kenai Peninsular
10 July 2019 | Kenai Peninsular
09 July 2019 | Afognak Island
08 July 2019 | Afognak Island
06 July 2019 | Afognak Island
05 July 2019 | Kodiak Island

Last Bahama island

10 April 2011 | Mayaguana
ENE - E 8-15 knots
An overnight sail of 120 nm to Mayaguana. Easy sail down between Samana Cay and the Plana Cays and we only had to motorsail for 2 hours the whole trip which was a pleasant change. Our anchorage here is on the eastern most point of the Bahamas and is just a stop for a few hours rest before we head to the Turks and Caicos overnight.

Rum Cay

08 April 2011 | Rum Cay
E 10-15 knots
For those of you interested, Rum Cay is surrounded by reef and was the second island discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492 - at least that is the case if the Salvador Island camp of theorists are correct and not the Samana Island camp. Its apparently called rum cay because a West Indian ship carrying a bounty of rum was wrecked off her reef. In the early 20th century it had a population of around 6000 people who worked around salt production. Today its diminished to a few houses, a pretty white and blue church and just 60 locals. But it is meant to be the best diving in the region. We snorkeled a little this morning through bombies covered in lacey lilac fans, fish coloured in magenta or electric blues with orange and black stripes, and saw a lone red spotted grouper - one of the few lucky ones that has escaped a spear.

Yesterday we did very little except spending time with two Texans, Jan and Karl, on our neigbouring boat White Pepper. They have a solar and wind turbine setup which is compact and efficient and we have decided we will fit something similar to Iolea as soon as we can.

The pic is from this evening. We started pre-dinner drinks with Jan and Karl (left back), then Renska, Dutch and Ted joined us (Right), and finally Mary-Jo and John (front left). At dusk we fired our outboards and dinghied like ducks to shore and to Kay's cafe and 20 odd other boaters (in fact every boat in the bay almost) for dinner. Kay's is run by octogenarian Delores and is a shack with sand floors and odd tables and chairs. It was a pretty impressive buffet for 27 people all cooked on a single stove in a kitchen half the size of ours at home and delivered with an occasional jig to the music.

Conch

08 April 2011 | Rum Cay
5-15 knots E-ESE
We are on our way to Rum Cay from Conception Island. As we were leaving a dinghy with 3 locals motored to our side and offered fresh conch (pronounced conk). We have had conch in cafes but not tried to cook it ourselves so we bought 5 large (as it turned out) ones for $10. Kate has a travel book which gives the preparation and a recipe for conch. It is pure muscle - similar to an abalone in texture (and flavour we found) - and needs to be sliced thinly, bashed until tender, then soaked in lime juice for an hour. After this you can bread and fry it, boil it or just throw it on the barbi. The popular dish for tourists is cracked conch where it is coated in flour and coconut and deep fried. There are pics of the actual conch in the photo gallery.

Long-tailed Tropic birds and rolling

04 April 2011 | Conception Island
E-ESE 15-30 knots
The photo is of Long-tailed Tropic birds as they swoop across the water and catch its reflection. We were anchored just off the beach and they danced around us all afternoon. Conception island is a sanctuary for migrating and nesting birds and island flora is also protected. There are remnants of a magnificent reef to the north. Giant elk horns that would have been stunning in their heyday have small patches of new growth but still are skeletal and furry - a consequence of warm current?

Our first night here we anchored further south along the beach. A lovely spot until nightfall. The wind dropped and a NE swell developed. We rolled continuously all night. Sleep, if you can call it that, was only possible by positioning ourselves across the bed. Next time we will try setting up a swell bridle (a line attached to the anchor chain and stern of the boat and which can be tightened or loosened to direct the boat's broadside away from the swell). Paul visited two boats north of us in the morning who were tucked behind the reef to the north and confirmed they had less swell so we moved in between them and slept well last night.

There are just the three of us here now. To our right is Paola Ola, a 40 ft catarmaran who acquired a rat at their last marina stop and have not been able to catch it. Apparently it crawled along a dock-line and ate its way through a flyscreen! We lent them a mice/rat mat trap which supposedly glues them to the mat - so a useful test run assuming the rat is still on board, which is not certain. On our other side are Jim, Linda (the fourth one we've met so far) , and their daughter Jennifer (16) who have been cruising the Caribbean for 2.5 ys on a 25ft sloop Opus and are still getting on famously. Jennifer has initiated Kate into the female cruising fraternity by making her an anklet. She is now a fully fledged "cruising chic".
Vessel Name: Iolea
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 49
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Paul and Kate
About: We are an Australian couple on a 2003 Hylas 49 and have been cruising from the Caribbean to the South Pacific since 2010. We are now in Alaska after 6 years in the tropical Pacific
Social:
Iolea's Photos - Main
Alaska 2019
57 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
46 Photos
Created 13 July 2017
10 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 13 July 2017
25 Photos
Created 22 June 2017
2 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 22 April 2017
26 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 26 October 2016
61 Photos
Created 6 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2015
20 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 June 2013
39 Photos
Created 14 March 2013
36 Photos
Created 28 January 2013
Another visit to Minca and 10 days anchoring in Tayrona Park
34 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 18 August 2012
6 day hike to Cuidad Perdida (the Lost City) in Columbia
39 Photos
Created 17 August 2012
Today we took a taxi with bob and Vicky from FoxSea to the foothills of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta to a place called Minca. It sits in heavy rainforest. Basic concete dwellings ,cafes, and restaurants and music and children everywhere. We visited a local artist, Leila, and her agronomist husband Guillame and I plan to take an afternoon class with her to make paper and build a visual diary - I'm looking forward to it, they are delightful people. Above the town via the stairs next to the church, across the concrete basketball field for the high school and up 200 stairs sits a hostel with hammocks, cold beer and views to the coast. Its run by Stephanie who is English and a refugee from London. Her dog Lola took us for a walk through the forest earlier in the day - very deliberate and well mannered
5 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
The colour of the sunset is not enhanced. That is how it looked - blood red. The remaining three photos are arriving in Santa Marta
9 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
From the top
11 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
3 months in Bonaire
17 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 3 June 2012
Will get to this tomorrow
22 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
6 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
3 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
Life in Chaguaramas
15 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
Grenada friends and tours
13 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
23 Photos
Created 18 August 2011
US Virgin islands to Grenada
90 Photos
Created 31 May 2011
photos of artworks
43 Photos
Created 17 May 2011
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 21 April 2011
Our Boat
16 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
From West End to the South Exumas
93 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
The garage
22 Photos
Created 31 January 2011