IOLEA 2019

We are an Australian couple who have been cruising on our Hylas 49 since 2010. We are currently in Alaska having sailed from NZ via French Polynesia and Hawaii last year.

12 July 2020
04 October 2019
17 September 2019
08 September 2019
27 August 2019
15 August 2019
29 July 2019 | Prince William Sound: Snug Harbor
19 July 2019
17 July 2019
16 July 2019 | Aialik Bay, Kenai Peninsular
14 July 2019 | Northwestern Glacier
13 July 2019 | Kenai Penninsular
12 July 2019 | Pilot Harbor, Kenai Peninsular
11 July 2019 | Kenai Peninsular
10 July 2019 | Kenai Peninsular
09 July 2019 | Afognak Island
08 July 2019 | Afognak Island
06 July 2019 | Afognak Island
05 July 2019 | Kodiak Island

Routines

23 April 2013 | Isabela, Galapagos
Kate
Anchorages are like small villages, albeit with highly transient populations. But like villages there is a daily rhythm. In the early morning we drink tea in the cockpit.
Birgit on Pitufa does her washing her head swiveling to boobies and sea lions as they dive and snort nearby.



Later in the morning Alan on Zebede (a junk rigged schooner) returns from the market, rowing through the anchorage in his handmade dinghy, stopping to chat as he passes by - one day it took him 4 hrs to get back to his boat!




Ellen on WindDancer has just been provisioning and caught a lift back with Phil and Danielle on Sweet Surrender - no need for a gym on a boat. Her husband George has just sent "our" pelican back to us because of its dubious toilet habits.




Images of Isabela - provisioning the Galapagos

20 April 2013 | Isabela but all islands really
Kate and Paul
Some freight to the Galapagos comes by air but most is by sea. Ok, that's the case with most countries, but here there are no docks to speak of and so all goods - I mean Everything - are delivered by a long slow procession of barges that are pushed along by pangas. The main photo is at Isabela. To unload this small ship took 6 barges going non-stop for a day and half. On the other islands with more population it takes 2-3 days.



Blue-footed Boobies

15 April 2013 | Isabela, Galapagos
There is just nothing like blue-footed boobies with their slightly crossed eyes, their waddling dance, and bright blue feet. This one was giving us an exhibition of his talents when we visited Los Tunneles on the south coast of Isabela.

Despite their being referred to as a clown (the Spanish - Bobo) they are magnificent in the water and we could watch them dive all day. At times up to 7 will simultaneously hit the water only a foot from each other. Occasionally one of the birds will let out a whistle before they dive - we are not sure whether this is a warning or a signal to dive - ie diving school for juveniles.






At other times they just watch the world go by - for some considerable time too.


Diving in the Galapagos

15 April 2013 | Isla Tortugas
We decided to change the earlier dive post to diving in the Galapagos so we can add a few more pics from other spots.

Our first double dive was at Kicker Rock in San Christobal with Sharksky. The dive was combined with snorkelling at the rock and a nearby beach so there was a mixed group. Its a magnificent location as you can see but the vis was poor and there was a lot of swell. For Kate the memory of the dive is one of sore ears, a foggy mask, and holding on like mad to Paul's hand. We did see our first hammerheads though.




Our second double dive was at Gordon's Rock off east Santa Cruz. This is meant to be one of the best sites in the Galapagos - bar Wolf and Darwin islands to the north. We went with Macaron and Juan Carlos who is an excellent dive master. Vis was ok but not fabulous but the dive was good and we saw a lot of lion seals, sharks (the main photo), and turtles.

Our last 4 dives were with Paco and Julio from Isabela. We first dived on the eastern end of Isla Tortugas, the crescent shaped island off Isabela and there saw our first seahorse (thanks to Julio who owns the dive boat), a dense school of barracuda and more hammerheads. Of course, this is where Paul took this fabulous footage of the turtle. No whale sharks unfortunately.





Our last dive was an exploration of a new site that Paco and Julio were exploring for future tours. It was along the base of Whale mountain on the east coast of Isabela and it was a fabulous dive. Every 5 minutes we had giant manta rays glide overhead, the landscape was vast and interesting and the schools of fish were often dense and rolling in balls.

West Coast

05 April 2013 | Isabela, Galapagos
Kate and Paul
This trip is a must do. For the first time we felt we were seeing the Galapagos we had imagined before arriving here.



xx

Isabela

04 April 2013
We sailed to our last anchorage in Galapagos, Puerto Villamil in Isabela, today with a small detour to see Isla Tortugas on the way.



This is the spectacular crescent shaped remains of the volcanic island featured in the Attenborough series. At midday it was sun bleached and a little less impressive but still worthwhile seeing. We will be diving off the island over the next couple of weeks so maybe we will get some better shots then. The anchorage at Puerto Villame is once again distinctly different from San Christobal and Puerto Santa Cruz.



This time we are right on the edge of the national park where blue footed boobies, frigate birds and the Galapagos penguin's are in abundance. We have mangroves to the right of us and reefs all around. Its very layback with few boats and tourists - except in the morning viewing times. A dozen puffer fish and a school of fingerlings have adopted the boat and barracuda fly past and snap up the fingerlings every now and then. Yesterday we had an early morning visit from a sea lion pup. He was peering through the portholes above our heads until we yelled at him. Later a young galapagos penguin decided that whizzing back and forth along our keel was a bit of fun and we also got a good gander at a pelican's throat.






Vessel Name: Iolea
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 49
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Paul and Kate
About: We are an Australian couple on a 2003 Hylas 49 and have been cruising from the Caribbean to the South Pacific since 2010. We are now in Alaska after 6 years in the tropical Pacific
Social:
Iolea's Photos - Main
Alaska 2019
57 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
46 Photos
Created 13 July 2017
10 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 13 July 2017
25 Photos
Created 22 June 2017
2 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 22 April 2017
26 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 26 October 2016
61 Photos
Created 6 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2015
20 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 June 2013
39 Photos
Created 14 March 2013
36 Photos
Created 28 January 2013
Another visit to Minca and 10 days anchoring in Tayrona Park
34 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 18 August 2012
6 day hike to Cuidad Perdida (the Lost City) in Columbia
39 Photos
Created 17 August 2012
Today we took a taxi with bob and Vicky from FoxSea to the foothills of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta to a place called Minca. It sits in heavy rainforest. Basic concete dwellings ,cafes, and restaurants and music and children everywhere. We visited a local artist, Leila, and her agronomist husband Guillame and I plan to take an afternoon class with her to make paper and build a visual diary - I'm looking forward to it, they are delightful people. Above the town via the stairs next to the church, across the concrete basketball field for the high school and up 200 stairs sits a hostel with hammocks, cold beer and views to the coast. Its run by Stephanie who is English and a refugee from London. Her dog Lola took us for a walk through the forest earlier in the day - very deliberate and well mannered
5 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
The colour of the sunset is not enhanced. That is how it looked - blood red. The remaining three photos are arriving in Santa Marta
9 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
From the top
11 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
3 months in Bonaire
17 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 3 June 2012
Will get to this tomorrow
22 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
6 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
3 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
Life in Chaguaramas
15 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
Grenada friends and tours
13 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
23 Photos
Created 18 August 2011
US Virgin islands to Grenada
90 Photos
Created 31 May 2011
photos of artworks
43 Photos
Created 17 May 2011
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 21 April 2011
Our Boat
16 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
From West End to the South Exumas
93 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
The garage
22 Photos
Created 31 January 2011