IOLEA 2019

We are an Australian couple who have been cruising on our Hylas 49 since 2010. We are currently in Alaska having sailed from NZ via French Polynesia and Hawaii last year.

12 July 2020
04 October 2019
17 September 2019
08 September 2019
27 August 2019
15 August 2019
29 July 2019 | Prince William Sound: Snug Harbor
19 July 2019
17 July 2019
16 July 2019 | Aialik Bay, Kenai Peninsular
14 July 2019 | Northwestern Glacier
13 July 2019 | Kenai Penninsular
12 July 2019 | Pilot Harbor, Kenai Peninsular
11 July 2019 | Kenai Peninsular
10 July 2019 | Kenai Peninsular
09 July 2019 | Afognak Island
08 July 2019 | Afognak Island
06 July 2019 | Afognak Island
05 July 2019 | Kodiak Island

Homage to Neptune

07 March 2013 | Galapagos passage day 7
Kate and Paul
Time to pay homage to Neptune and ensure fair sailing ahead. A dram of rum and oatmeal bread with a festive feel. We will have our celebration at Isla San Christobal tomorrow - the champagne is already cooling. In the meantime we are creeping along at 2-4 knots under the spinnaker heading south west but with a north west heading current which is helping us to our destination. The washing is out and a new lure on the hook - not catching anything so far. The music is on - a bit of Dark Side of Moon after talking to Steve on Leeward this morning then onto more pop/country. We haven't seen another vessel for 2 days now (aside from our fishermen). Such a crowd of boats to begin with then we all disappear until the next huddle.

The things you come across

06 March 2013 | Galapagos passage day 6
Kate and Paul
Sailing along just south of the equator in a 10 knot SW breeze with the genoa, stay sail and main all pulling Iolea towards the Galapagos when all of a sudden there appears a perogue with two fishermen aboard waving madly towards a black flag in the distance. Its 10,000ft deep here and 190 miles from land; this is not what we expected! They waved us north to avoid their nets and then pointed to more flags in the distance - tres mas, tres mas they called (3 more). Well each of these nets is 2 miles apart and in the end we counted five of them before we thought we were clear - only to see in the distance another line of flags. In fact we were in a minefield of nets - to the north, the west and east of us. Fortunately, another perogue came zooming out of nowhere with its shepards, told us they had 5 miles of nets out and escorted us safely to the south of them this time, finally allowing us to get back on course for the Galapagos.

Crossing the Equator

06 March 2013 | The Equator of course
Kate and Paul
Paul had Iolea run up and down the Equator several times to achieve this. Another photo is identical but say 00.00.00'N.

Keeping sane

05 March 2013 | Galapagos passage day 5
Kate and Paul
I guess it was too much to expect to have good wind all the way to Galapagos. As night fell last night we saw a conga line of clouds across the horizon. Not sure but it looked like it might be the edge of the doldrums. By 3am we had little or no wind and motored until 9.30am this morning - a more predictable rate but very rolly with the left over seas and the engine added to the ambient heat - sea water temp is 29.5 degrees, 2 days ago it was 22 degrees and we were wearing warm jumpers in the evening. We now have the spinnaker up but there is not much wind to carry it. Our speed over ground is around 4.5 knots and almost 2 of that is current. Still, we have calmer seas and have taken the opportunity to refresh ourselves with a shower.

Oops need to reef down

04 March 2013 | Galapagos passage day 3 and 365 miles down
Kate and Paul
Its the morning of day 3 to the Galapagos and we are making good headway, albeit not the most comfortable of passages. Apart from a short pleasant motor down the Perlas chain we have been under sail the whole time, first with the spinnaker then wing and wing. The first night the winds gusted 35-40knots and we were flying along between 9-10 knots under reduced sail by then. Even more impressive was Irie, a 34ft cat, with Mark and Lisbet aboard found themselves doing 15 knots at one stage and promptly took time out to reduce sail. We later learnt that other friends on Juffa, which is 40 foot catamaran, hit 18 knots. Yesterday the winds reduced somewhat but still in the high teens and with the assistance of a persistent current had us doing min of 6 knots and up to 9 frequently. Last night built again but only to late 20s to 30s. While the winds are getting us to where we want to go its tiring on the body. Following, confused seas kick Iolea left and right or push her sideways so working in the galley is unpleasant and messy - yesterday it was a can of coconut milk over the benches and on the carpet and today it was coffee beans. A fun aspect of the passage are the nets which run in the morning and afternoon - we sign in and give positions, chat to others about conditions and what is happening with sea state and currents at different latitudes. If it were pleasant weather we might swap food info but its all about comfort and sleep for the moment.

Trawling and Panama city

24 February 2013 | La Playita - Panama
On our sail from Contradora and here in Panama we have seen quite a few trawlers - this is one of the smaller ones. Its a bit depressing really when you see the scope of their nets. Over the past weeks we have been delighted with the multitude of fish since there seemed so few in the Caribbean. Just hope they leave some left to breed. It would be good to see more emphasis in the press on overfishing - rather than just whales and turtles.

We are now anchored at La Playita outside Panama city in a crowded anchorage of boats waiting for a weather window to the Galapagos. Apart from the Oyster rally of 30 odd boats there are at least that many again of cruisers waiting. Carolyn on Juffa has suggested we organise an informal race which sounds fun - anyway we will see what happens as the next opportunity approaches. In the meantime, we are catching up with Zenna and Pitufa and will have our batteries in on Monday - new AGMs this time so, if managed ok, we should not have to lift a floorboard to maintain them since they are a closed system - they are meant to last up to 6 years - but that is probably optimistic.
Vessel Name: Iolea
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 49
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Paul and Kate
About: We are an Australian couple on a 2003 Hylas 49 and have been cruising from the Caribbean to the South Pacific since 2010. We are now in Alaska after 6 years in the tropical Pacific
Social:
Iolea's Photos - Main
Alaska 2019
57 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
46 Photos
Created 13 July 2017
10 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 13 July 2017
25 Photos
Created 22 June 2017
2 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 22 April 2017
26 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 26 October 2016
61 Photos
Created 6 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2015
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2015
20 Photos
Created 21 October 2013
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 June 2013
39 Photos
Created 14 March 2013
36 Photos
Created 28 January 2013
Another visit to Minca and 10 days anchoring in Tayrona Park
34 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 18 August 2012
6 day hike to Cuidad Perdida (the Lost City) in Columbia
39 Photos
Created 17 August 2012
Today we took a taxi with bob and Vicky from FoxSea to the foothills of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta to a place called Minca. It sits in heavy rainforest. Basic concete dwellings ,cafes, and restaurants and music and children everywhere. We visited a local artist, Leila, and her agronomist husband Guillame and I plan to take an afternoon class with her to make paper and build a visual diary - I'm looking forward to it, they are delightful people. Above the town via the stairs next to the church, across the concrete basketball field for the high school and up 200 stairs sits a hostel with hammocks, cold beer and views to the coast. Its run by Stephanie who is English and a refugee from London. Her dog Lola took us for a walk through the forest earlier in the day - very deliberate and well mannered
5 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
The colour of the sunset is not enhanced. That is how it looked - blood red. The remaining three photos are arriving in Santa Marta
9 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
From the top
11 Photos
Created 19 June 2012
3 months in Bonaire
17 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 3 June 2012
Will get to this tomorrow
22 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
6 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
3 Photos
Created 12 December 2011
Life in Chaguaramas
15 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
Grenada friends and tours
13 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
23 Photos
Created 18 August 2011
US Virgin islands to Grenada
90 Photos
Created 31 May 2011
photos of artworks
43 Photos
Created 17 May 2011
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 21 April 2011
Our Boat
16 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
From West End to the South Exumas
93 Photos
Created 16 February 2011
The garage
22 Photos
Created 31 January 2011